R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya mini cooper
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2012, 11:50 PM
AzFittin
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Granpa
Use the Tamiya ones #53890. They are the best cause they are the smallest. This mod is a bit of a pain to do, but well worth it. Craig Richter, our resident Mini guru, was the first I know to do this. I'm assuming the #53597 universals you mention are the rebuildable cvds. I use the #53205 universals since IMO they are smoother. I only mention this cause the I believe the 53597 are a mm or so longer and don't really need a o-ring in the outdrive to keep it from sliding out. Not so important in a gear diff cause it's outdrives have a much longer spline than the ball diff ones.

Check out the new universals from R1 Wurks. They hit the hobby shops a few weeks ago and are beautiful units. They are also quite a bit less expensive than the Tamiya ones. These are not TCS legal, but it's a 10 minute job to switch to the Tamiya ones for a TCS race. They will last longer, are smoother, and cheaper. They dimensionally the same as the Tamiya units. Speedtech and TQ RC racing stock them. While you are there get the R1 Wurks ceramic diff balls and throw the stock TA03 diff balls away. The diff balls are 3mm in diameter.

TA03 ball diffs have a lot of "mystic" surrounding them in how to build the "perfect" ball diff. 99.9% of that stuff is pure BS. The TA03 ball diff is one of the RC worlds easiest things to do. Just use a tiny bit, little dab, small amount of antiwear grease on the diff balls and build it exactly like the instructions. I do a couple of extra things, but that's only to increase the time between rebuilds and I've posted it before. Come to think of it most of the crap about gear diff is just that, pure crap also. The oil filled diffs may be the wave of the future, but have no experience with them so won't comment. Some people whose opinions I respect, swear by them. Too bad they are not TCS legal.

Since you're a noob, check out TG's rc-mini website. Lot's of good advice, a minimal amount of BS, and just a lot of good stuff.

And last, IMO for the type of tracks you will be racing on, the M03 MWB or LWB will be a better choice. The kit you mention has a lot of glitz, but would only have an advantage on a short technical track.

Hope this helps.
Thank you a ton for all the info! I will look into the parts. You mention that the M03 MWB or LWB would be better unless it is a small technical track. I have to admit that I am not sure what would be considered small. Most of my experience is with dirt 2 and 4wd as well as carpet oval and touring car. The tracks I have been used to in the past were 60'x80' or larger. The track I will be racing the Mini on locally is probably 50'x70' or less. It is in the process of being built so I cannot speak to how technical it will be but how would you rate that size?

Thanks again.