R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - T.O.P. PHOTON EX
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2012, 12:12 PM
Bishop
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Ok, so a big rush to finish my car late Thursday night (I have been waiting on parts), I got to run mine tonight (Friday Night).
At the track I was still rushing to finish cutting out my body, set up the mounts, put it on the setup station etc, so by the time I was done, I only got to do a quick few test laps before I was out of time (I run race control so I'm a busy boy on race nights).

Those test laps were very promising though, followed by the first heat where I was almost stunned by how good the car is. I had the basic kit setup, with only some minor changes to suit the foams we run (camber changes, lower shock mounts inner most hole), and 450cst oil front, 350cst rear (our track is bumpy).
But the car made better traction than any setup I ever had on the original Photon, with steering everywhere, miles beyond what I could get on the old car, with it just 'feeling' better on track in most ways I can think of.

Something about the new EX seems to excel at being able to do things, without compromise or loss of other traits, it's a pleasure to drive, and many of the features are fantastic, motor mount, ability to take a nice size pinion with easy access, been some real good development there.

Unfortunately now though, I have to cover the bad, cause there is some real issues...
The kit seems to require an extraordinary amount of shimming out of the box, shocks are crazy when it's a carry on from the old model (I ended up with the option pistons in mine), but also suspension arms, and even axles, kind of a bummer.
Worst of all though, after building the shocks last night, I found what others found, being really loose collars on the shocks, but to take that one extreme further, two of mine were jumping threads all night, At first I noticed small changes to ride height, constantly readjusting, then by the second final my front left popped the whole way up!, dropping me out of the heat.

It's quite a issue, my shocks are basicly no good, and also cause the left ones keep slipping/jumping, got a fair bit more chassis wear/scrubbing on the left side of the nice new chassis, which I'm a little bummed about.

PS. EJ those Rebel body post mounts are the bomb dude, had to try a set after seeing them on your car, and reading they were height adjustable, my only concern is they seem quite tight, did/you drill yours out?, my only worry with them is they may split over time?, but hey I have several friends who want them now after seeing mine.