R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - T.O.P. PHOTON EX
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2012, 05:54 PM
Luppi Stefano
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Bishop
Ok, I reached the point of the bulk of car done, following the manual so up to doing the shocks...

Some things worth noting, screws not as horrible as my original kit, but still not great, new rear diff is a little strange, the oring means it's hard to 'feel' when the case is done up tight, you have to torque the case down what feels like very tight to stop the screw holes leaking, and the outdrive orings do seem to leak regardless what you do, maybe cause of the missing shims?

The real weird is when I reached building the shocks, I can't believe they still come with about .2-.3mm play from the piston on the shafts, it's seems so odd to not include some shims, old issue, no fix within a brand new kit/model?

Mixed general feel about the kit quality overall, it reminds me so much of the original kit, much of the quality is outstanding (including quality of material), but you hit a few problem areas that seem a strange let down among that.

Oh and the steering hubs have very little play, no shimming seems required there anymore (but new rack has a fair bit of play in it), I got a slightly wonky spur pulley that won't run true in my kit, and a camber link rod that is threaded the reverse to how it's marked!, but overall it's got some nice features and touched on the new kit.

Likely I'll order a few little bits to cleanly finish the build, or borrow some bits off the old car.
for Steering:
remove countersunk screw on bridge, put normal M3 screw, a little play reduced very much! and I change countersunk and countersunk shim on steering post, with 0.5 shim + normal M3 screw, try it...

for diff use Black Grease siliconinic, or ball diff grease on o-ring no problem with all my diff gear, but sunday try EX gear diff...