R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Back into R/C What to build?
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2012, 07:38 PM
rem37411
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Back into R/C What to build?

Hello, I used to dabble in R/C a few years ago. I had a Savage truck that I mostly played around with and occasionally raced. I never did well at racing but it was because I suck at driving.....heh. I know if I were to consider racing I should not consider another savage but that truck was so much dang fun! I beat the CRAP out of it and it kept coming back asking for more. I had a few other nitro cars/trucks along the way so I am kinda sorta familiar.

My dilemma: I am looking to get back in. I am pretty sure I want a monster truck and I really like the videos/reviews I am reading about the savage 4.6. My problems are that If I go with a truck I would prefer a kit over a RTR, simply because I want to beef it up. Or is the RTR sufficiently beefy for the average weekend warrior? I won't be crushing buicks or anything just regular rough housing, hill climbing and average terrorizing the streets.

Is the RTR electronics package snappy enough for what I want to do? I remember I upgraded the steering servo because I was mainly racing before and needed that quick response.

There is a slim possibility that I would race it, maybe a few times a year. I really enjoyed the fellowship with racers and sick enough, I enjoyed turn marshaling. Good exercise! (Oh, I am almost 50 so every little bit counts!)

What are some other options? I wouldn't mind a "custom" truck that can be raced or played with. I enjoy building but not a fabricator so I am thinking a kit would be best for me.

I will not say that money is not a concern but I will be able to afford a decent ride and accessories.

Enough rambling. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Ron