R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Serpent S411
Thread: Serpent S411
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2012, 12:28 PM
Johnny Wishbone
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kevin E.
When i am looking to setup sheets from different drivers , i see allmost everybody running a spool in front.
In this tread i have read the the different is the characteristics and aggressiveness of the car.
But u run with a diff in the front i get less wear of the driveshafts , right ?

So why is allmost everybody running a spool in front ?

grtz , Kevin

One of my setups posted uses a geardiff 500k setting, the reason I did this was to get better turn in on a very free feeling car, it was a limited power motor so I wanted as little scrub as possible.

Usually the spool helps to pull the car out of the corners better. There is definitely less shock on the driveshafts. The Serpent spool outdrives the wear is considerably better than most setups. I can say that I have run spools in the front that use pin cushions and a few times when the cushion goes the car is very hard to drive. That said, I would prefer to run a spool without any cushion over one with.

The one thing I do with my spools, is after the bearings are on, I shrink wrap the outdrive and then put some black grease into the cups for a bit of a cushion. I do this the keep the grease in and not spray the rear of the car. Since Ive done this the axle pins show very little wear, compared to when I would run them dry.