R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya mini cooper
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2012, 10:55 AM
sosidge
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by dameetz
Also can you guys advise which rubber/slick tyres are best for asphalt and carpet? I browsed a bit and really got confused, some are low profile and some are high profile diameter and some are inch up size. Are all the tyres fit into Tamiya rims?

Thanks.
You've got two tyre diameters on standard Tamiya Mini sized wheels 55D and 60D (in mm).

HPI do some "inch-up" style rims for the Cup Racer (they call them MX60) and I think Ride do some inch-ups wheels and tyres as well. These aren't compatible with the standard Tamiya wheels.

The larger wheels have a larger rollout which means that they are faster on the straights in fixed-gearing classes. But there are handling effects as well, which I personally have no experience of working with.

Locally we use the Sweep pre-mounts everywhere, indoors and out. Always 25s on the rear and usually 33s on the front. They are a 55D tyre, but local rules mean that 60D tyres don't get a straight-line speed advantage.

There are lots and lots of other tyres out there though.

PS be wary of bertrandsv87's advice. He has mostly strange ideas (along with a handful of good ones) and it is hard to tell whether he is a troll or a lunatic. Personally speaking I wouldn't touch the gears with anything.