R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - The Speed Passion Thread
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2012, 08:20 AM
sosidge
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by dvaid852456
Interesting. What speed controller/boost settings are you running?

I've always worried about gearing higher as the turbo kicks in at lower revs when going full throttle out of some corners. That will just dump loads of timing on a low reving motor.

That's why I'm thinking of not using the Turbo and tuning the boost RPM to suit the track and only apply timing when the motor is reving higher.

The SP ESC has a maximum Turbo delay of 0.8 seconds. On some corners I can be on full throttle coming out of a corner for well over this. Won't turbo just always be bogging the motor down?
I'm using the HW software in my ESC now, basically on the default settings of the latest version (I've only changed the brakes). I think it is virtually identical to the latest SP software.

I understand your concerns about the dumping too much timing on the motor etc. but in my experience an "all boost" setup seems to dump the timing on the motor much faster than a split between boost and turbo. With the latest softwares, the transfer from boost to turbo is actually quite smooth with the default settings.

Try a bigger pinion - it will probably feel better and better each tooth you put on. Tweak the software later - the software will do nothing to improve the performance off the line or out of slow corners - it's all in the motor and gearing at that point.