R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Building 1/8 Scale Track
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2012, 07:25 PM
Teufel Racing
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JoePit
@Teufel 3 Weeks ago we semi cleared the front straight and put some pipe down with 8' lanes. I made 1 pass and knew immediately we needed some more room. Unfortunately, even with the size we have to work with any more than 10' would leave us with a lot less track.
I hear ya having a lot less track. Our local outdoor track is about 130x55 ish and it can feel pretty small with the 1/8th out there. It's what we got so we try to work with it, but it's easy to see that more room would make many things much easier.

As for building/maint. of the layout/jumps:
Carpet does work, but if left out in the sun 24-7 will fail at some point. We used some with the macking of the carpet exposed to the elements and it work about 3/4 of the season. By the end of the season it was pretty tore up, but did what we wanted it to do.

When building the jumps/layout. Take your time and make sure you have plenty of water and a good roller/vibraplate to help pack it in. On the jumps, build them a layer at a time, like a cake, and pack the living snot out it if with plenty of water. That will help to keep the jump together longer, but at some point that too will fail. Sun and little to no water do a lot of damage. If you can keep the track watered and maintain it/repack it when needed, shouldn't be too much of an issue which ever way you want to go.

Layout choice of the two you posted up:
I'd go with the first one for many of the same reasoms that were given already.