R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - CRC 1/10 Pan Car
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2012, 07:42 PM
Still Bill
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mjw353
Hey Guys,

FWIW, The track where I run my LE is also asphalt, although indoors (approx 150 x 50 ) very smooth and very high grip.

I've also been using dumper's Vegas set up as a base, but with help from Bill and others' posts, I have made a few adjustments that seem to work better for our track conditions: (items in bold are alterations from Brian's Vegas set up sheet)

Servo is reverse front mount. Tie-rod's are level.

Track width: wide ( servo height spacers removed )
Wheel base: long
axles: inline
Camber: -.25 -> -.5
Caster shims: 2 back
Caster blocks: 10 deg
Kingpin length: .404 (1/12th)
Spring .50 (1/12th)

Upper Arm: Long & Raised
Ackerman: Mid
Ride height spacer: 5 +( 2 yellow & 1 orange spacer: compensates for the removal of the spacers under the track width plate )
Riser plate: No
Chassis stiffener: yes

Shock spring: Red
Shock oil: 30wt
Shock mount: Raised 1.5mm ( on chassis ) / Std height on pod
Battery: Fwd
ESC: behind battery (centered)

Damper tubes: 20K
Side springs: Green
Preload: .75-1.25 turns (varies with tweak adjustment)
Rear steer: Pod ball studs raised slightly ( >1mm): Losi JRX-S ball stud: link on pod / std CRC ball studs on chassis
Droop: 1mm ( although I measure this from the back of the lower rear pod plate, which IIRC is different from where Brian measures droop )

Front tire: 53mm
Sauce: full width
side glue: none
Rear tire: 54mm
Sauce full: width
side glue: none

Ride height (Frnt,Mid,Rear): 3.8, 4.0, 4.2 ( chassis/pod form a straight line w/ a slight rake)

I wouldn't call this ideal. But so far this set up has been the most consistently predictable throughout the run particularly as the effects of sauce diminish, the balance of the car remains identical.

Although I do feel like I have a bit too much grip at turn-in, and that the car scrubs off too much speed in fast transitions ( could also blame my driving),
but it's so much better than running the axles in the trailing position. Next time I'm at the track, I've been thinking to try stiffer side springs, but also increasing the thickness of the center shock oil to try to slow down fore/aft weight transfer.

HTH

BTW comments and/or suggestions always welcome

Cheers,
-m
Looks like I need to come down there to run against your setup. Sure don't see anything wrong; except, I like red side springs in the rear for virtually all conditions. Could be wrong here though...LOL

Headed to the Carpet Nats at Carrollton, TX in the morning.

Cheers,

Bill