R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class
Old 03-09-2012, 07:21 PM
MADD FABRICATOR
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Toom Raider
Here are views of the McClaren and Indycar. The wings were mounted on vertical struts from the chassis. I don't recall the source of the bodies but I have some RC Car newspapers from the era in storage. Perhaps there are ads in them, I'll see. Roy Moody may recognize it.
In regards to the McLaren body, I'm not sure who manufactured it, but it sure would be nice to see it duplicated either in fiberglass or vacuum formed. If your body was done in fiberglass there was a company ( PMP Manufacturing, in Denver , CO.) which made a M-8 fiberglass body back in the early '70s.
Now as to the Indy car body. That body is scaled after the 1970 STP-McNamara Indy car, obviously under STP sponsorship, and driven by Mario Andretti. I can find info on two companies which made the body in 1/8th scale. One was the previously mentioned PMP Man. Again that body would have been in fiberglass. If your body is polycarbonate it was probably made by Dynamic Models the maker of the Dynamic pan car and full suspension car.
All this info came from the Oct. 1970 issue of Pit Stop Magazine, which was the first magazine published for the r-c car racer. The publishing company also published R-C Modeler mag. Pit Stop was only published for a very short time, from Sept. 1970 until July 1971. Short lived, but a very neat magazine with the early history of organized R-C car racing.
Now you know the rest of the story.
CHEERZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!! MADD FABRICATOR