R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - The Bob Stormer "Radio Control History" project. Needs you!
Old 03-01-2012, 11:45 AM
M-chassisMark
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jasons56
I never saw any of his cars! Is it the gas oval thing with the capped tires?

Yeah it was kinda funny really how many Nascar crew members were playing with RC in their spare time. It was almost an underground thing and although many of us were aware of who and what we did in our day jobs we didn't talk about it.
Almost like we were ashamed of playing with toy cars. Random spectators would walk up and ask if I realized I was playing with toy cars with some big names in NASCAR...

None of us gave a damn because we were all there to race, not talk about where we worked.

Of course now its a whole different story now of course!

I mean Tony S. and Donnie L. for starts! I bet more NASCAR guys have played with hobby level RC than those that haven't now.

I wish I had stuck around Charlotte long enough for RC to "come out of the closet" in Nascar circles.

Anyway, sorry about the Nascar trip off topic!
We have a very humble carpet track at the Hobbytown USA in Mooresville, NC. Many nascar crew guys come race 1/18 Losi latemodels and mini sprints with us, and a few drivers have cars and show up occasionally. We raced 1/10 touring last year before we restructured and went oval, and Kyle Busch came out and raced with us for probably 5 weeks in a row with an Associated TC6. He was fast! But he grew up with RC, had AE sponsorship and even worked at the Hobbytown in Las Vegas before his racing career took off. Justin Allgaier has a bunch of mini sprint stuff. Jeff and Mark Green, Trevor Bayne, and TJ Bell just to name a few. Greg Biffle has several HPI Bajas and shops at the store every so often. Martin Truex Jr scratch builds RC boats and shops at the store on a weekly basis. Rick Mears flys rc helis and comes in a lot when he is in town. Its interesting to me that they find time for such a hobby and enjoy it as much as they do; what with their deep pockets and busy schedules they could be doing any number of things.