R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class
Old 02-23-2012, 02:10 PM
Flygio
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by aarcobra
When I say "cheating" I am refering to the design intent streching the envelope, not the owner/mechanic tweeking something. (Probably a poor choice of wording.) And again, having been involved with 1/8 scale RC Cars since 1970 (Dynamic Pan Car), my reference for a "Pan Class" goes back to VERY SIMPLE and VERY CHEAP!

When I got involved with trying to help get a "Pan Class" going in our group, the talk started with reserecting old pan cars (Associated 300, Delta, MRP, etc.) Only when it was determined that it would be too expensive and difficult for most racers to field them, did I decide the European "Classic" 2wd cars were the better way to go.

I have only seen the P8C and the DXF in person and they seem less likely to flex than some of the newer cars. From a materials and design viewpoint I believe that the new Intrepid rear suspension will absorb road "shocks" to the car better than one with aluminum arms and "fixed" length upper arms.
They must have decided that changing the WB was not necessary on the new car, I don't see any provision for moving it at the rear?

I really love 1/8 scale on-road and would be happy to run 4wd if it weren't so darn fast!!! I was hoping the pan class would be slower for my diminsihing skills but the "real racers" obviously need to go as fast as possible and I certainly understand this mindset.
Very interesting to talk to someone who actually saw evolution from the 70's on.

We, in Italy, are experiencing a real resurrection of vintage pan-cars. Thanks also to Mantua, who added a vintage class in its much followed "single-brand" race. If you browse in that Rcbazar link I posted above you'll find some articles of what I'm talking about.

I agree with you when saying of shocking absorption, but with Hudy set-up mounted on and pushing onto the rear you still won't be able to read any change in camber. So yes. Smart development, still playing inside rules though!
WB is just considered optimal after many tests. No change. The new rear end is completely different from the old one. Engine closer to the diff, shorter belt, different 3rd upper pivot.....