R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...
Old 02-22-2012, 03:39 PM
ijdod
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by fredswain
Real F1 cars must be no more than 180cm wide. That means their 1/10 scale counterpart, assuming this is in fact truly a "scale" class should also be no wider than 1/10 of that which is 180mm wide. Congrats you guys can only use 1 car!
While I know some people would love to run 2012 cars only, so far they haven't quite made the rules yet. (luckily :P) Anybody want to guess at the proper weight at that scale, now that we're at it? And the proper scale speeds?

A 205mm width means that in the real world you could have an F1 car that is a foot wider than current. The reality is that in a stock class, at the relatively slow speeds being run, the width difference isn't going to matter all that much. If we were talking about modifieds where people are running 60 mph then you bet the width difference is going to change the game for some.
With modified, I agree the difference will be noticeable, all else being equal. I must admit to having mostly ignored mod, as most people seem to be talking about stock-like motors. Even so, there's more factors. Batteries are a huge factor, tyres can be too. At some point in racing people will look everywhere for a benefit. That could be width, but it could just as easily be that fancy new chassis that runs circles around the rest.

Also, but that's personal, I'm not sure if I'd actually want to run the Tamiya front end suspension at 60mph. A proper pancar setup makes so much more sense under those conditions :P

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
Oh I agree run them all together for now...that's what we are doing at our track. I'm just making sure everyone understands...once you let the genie out of the bottle you can't put it back in. In other words once you start letting 200mm run with the 190mm and 180mm you won't be able to change that because too many people will have invested in other sizes.
I understand the point you're making, but haven't things already moved past that point by allowing 190mm in with the 180mm cars? What reason is there for the 'sudden' leniency towards the 190mm cars? (how many 190mm cars are there, besides the TGX? There's the WRC car, but that's going to be rare)
--
One of the problems I see with the width discussion is that it's one across generations of cars. Even if you were to ignore the pancars, F1 has been 200mm since forever. Then all of a sudden someone (I'm looking at you, Tamiya ) decided that 180mm was the best thing since sliced bread, and all of a sudden you're potentially not allowed to play any more. That is a bit what it feels like from the 200mm(+ ) side of things. "wider cars should be retired". Perhaps. Or perhaps the narrow cars should be widened. This is just as valid an argument.