R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...
Old 02-22-2012, 10:30 AM
fredswain
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Real F1 cars must be no more than 180cm wide. That means their 1/10 scale counterpart, assuming this is in fact truly a "scale" class should also be no wider than 1/10 of that which is 180mm wide. Congrats you guys can only use 1 car!

A 205mm width means that in the real world you could have an F1 car that is a foot wider than current. The reality is that in a stock class, at the relatively slow speeds being run, the width difference isn't going to matter all that much. If we were talking about modifieds where people are running 60 mph then you bet the width difference is going to change the game for some. We also have many new people joining this class who have never raced before and who have never tuned these cars. We are going to see this all play a far greater role than the width differences.

We are already seeing people that are buying these cars, assembling them box stock, and are then running them box stock, tires and all. Then we've got guys who practice all week and work on setting the cars up who are running soft sticky tires. It's obvious who the faster guys are going to be regardless of car width. My biggest concern is if someone comes along and starts to dominate even within the strict scope of the rules, that rules will be changed to handicap them later. This quite frankly scares me since the goal for others should be to catch them not slow them down. I'm not saying this will happen but with all the other stupid things here you never know. Don't let that start as a rumor. It isn't one. It's just something that I'm going to pay attention to in the future.