R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - What am I doing wrong? (XXL Diff question)
Old 02-20-2012, 08:22 AM
Dadic 78
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by honda237
First I would leave the stock diff housing, they are better than the hot racing diff casing. I ran in to some diff problems with my MMM 2200 on 5s with trenchers, but I have them pretty much figured out.
Do you have the high torque/friction slipper pads?
Is it the bevel and spider gear or the ring and pinion that keep stripping?
Are you on the throttle when you land?
I did put a shim or two under the pins in the diff, and my slipper is pretty loose.
I've used the XXL diff casings, as well as the HR aluminum casings. I've had issues with both... I do not use the high friction slipper pads, just the stockers. I've had issues with the pinion gear wearing, as well as the bevel, and spider gears.

Originally Posted by looseman1
This is the best LST diff rebuild thread ever.

http://www.losiforums.net/showthread.php?t=113

Run 15,000 fluid and HPI hardened pins under the sun gears, HD cups, HD oudrives. Follow the rebuild thread and your issues will clear up. I run my slipper really tight and with that set-up I rarely break diffs anymore. i also run my Punch controll at %80 with the castle 1800 KV.
I followed this rebuild thread last year when I went through my diff-rebuild phase. Followed to a "T", and I'm still having some issues. As I said before, I notice a "crunching" or "grinding" sound when the back tires land off a jump.