Thread: Serpent S411
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2012, 02:43 PM
Johnny Wishbone
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by zaraz
any success
Sorry not yet, darn work getting in the way. Soon.

Originally Posted by TheZoof
I ran my S411 for the first time yesterday. I also own a 417 which I really like.

The car was not drivable with the stock setup in practice so I had to make a lot of changes for our medium-traction carpet track.

I went with 300 cst in rear diff, 500cst front shocks, 400cst rear. Ending up going with black front spring and rear white springs. I moved rear shocks to center hole on arm and shortened the rear link as much as possible. I also put on the thicker top plate 2.5mm.

The car has a ton of steering compared to my 417. I hope to change my front blocks to 2-2 compared to the stock configuration. Right now I don't have them yet.

I also changed droop quite a bit from stock having 2mm up travel in front ant 1mm in rear.

In the end I had to play a lot with servo speed and dual rates to get the car reasonably consistent.

An other suggestions for getting the car more consistent? I am hoping keeping the same block up front will take away that edginess that normally I like however on this car was hard to keep momentum going.

I wanted to try Martin's high grip setup however our track does doughnuts with Jaco tires so felt it wouldn't be the best way to go.

Any medium-low grip carpet setups out there worth looking at?
One of the things that really helps the car with consistency is having the gear diff well broken in, no tight spots when you rotate it by hand, this really helped my car. If it feels like there is a tight spot you can either sand the back of the big gears or run without the big shim washer that goes between the gear and o-ring, I do the shim deal and it really frees the diff up. I run 700cst oil in the diff. I still think DJC are they way to go as well. There are quire a few setups on the Serpent site as well as on the Petit RC site.

Originally Posted by Manu_05'
Hi Martin,

But it's to have a more stable car, do you think that a thinner oil will be good or not ?

I have the same setup than you concerning the upper link, but with our tyres, we need to have more rear traction... Do you have some advice for me ?

I have also kickup in front (0.5-3) and rear i'll try anti-squat. Do you think that it could be a good idea ?

PS: app is great !
Not Martin but, post your setup if you can, need to know surface, tires, traction compound as well. I don't really like kickup or anti-squat, and if anything I use anti-dive to calm the backend of the car down.