R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 3Racing Sakura Zero S
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2012, 06:15 AM
orcadigital
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vti-chris
Finally i decided to buy a new Sakura Zero S after searching around for a used car for drift and minimal racing.

I will be mostly drifting...and will be using hobbyking 35A ESC with a 10.5T motor.
What pinion gear do i need to get?(to be used for racing as well...don't have time to mess too much with the car)
I saw that i need the 19t center pulley to loosen up the rear belt...is it really needed??
What wheel off-sets for 190mm body for a biffed up look?
This is the body i will be getting...

Do i need any extra diffs or i can lock one up and use it up front or in the rear for each situation?
I know little about drifting, but will answer what I can.

A 35A ESC seems light for a 10.5 motor. Also, as you said you intended on racing it, I am not sure what class you would run in with a 10.5 and a USGT/Drift body. I am guessing mod touring? You would get eaten alive with that electronics combo though. It is hard to know gearing as it will vary based on a lot of things, including track size, class, wheels, etc. Start with a smaller pinion, check temps, and make it larger as needed.

The 19t pulley is a must have to me, though others disagree. It is both belts that run too tight, and it makes changing spurs/pinions a bugger, as the spur gear/layshaft assembly gets so twisted trying to put it in and take it out. With the stock 20 tooth, I remove the rear diff to do any mesh adjustment, as it is just too wonky otherwise.

It is a 190mm car, so 0 offset wheels should fill the wheel wells. It will also depend on the width of the wheels (24mm, 26mm, 31mm etc) and each body is a little different.

Hopefully that helps some, and maybe those running 48p gears can help you more with pinion decisions.