R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)
Old 01-24-2012, 01:53 PM
Mb3195
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by speedyfowler
Hey Mark,

Were you using the IAS when this happened? I attached a pic of something you can do to limit the travel on the one side (still symmetrical left/right). I haven't had any issues with the stock rack, and with this fix I haven't had any issues with the IAS rack.

This Sunday was a really intense day of racing, Martin Crisp came out for some testing before the Snowbirds race, and was in my qualifier (we were nose to tail pretty much all day). I managed to get Tq after round 3 (Martin kept having issues with lapped traffic, he was also on Jaco Blues, so I had a bit of an advantage). In the final, Martin was all over the back end of my car, but wasn't able to get by clean so he kept giving back the position until he could make it without contact. In the process we ended up dropping to 2nd and 3rd, with about a minute left to go we were about a second behind first. Literally on the last lap, first place scrubbed a corner pushing wide enough for me to squeeze by, I ended up getting first by 0.215 seconds. Martins fast lap was 9.799, and mine was 9.800

Setup-wise, I decided to try shorter upper arms front and rear, as well as asymmetric dampening. I came to the conclusion that I prefer the front and rear dampening settings that are closer together (not much difference between front and rear). This setup was the best I've felt the car so far!

I also had a very high impact crash (one that would've most likely broken the front arm, c-hub, and maybe even a knuckle on a conventional TC), I ended up bending the front rear upper turnbuckle, and the front universal disassembled. I think Oleg put a lot of thought into the front universals, it seems that at a certain force of an impact, they're designed to just pop open, rather than sheering off or bending (reassembled using original cage and it has no slop still).
How different did the car feel with the shorter links? Got a big meeting this weekend (uk indoor narional) with sorex as the control tyre, pretty much all my running has been with a much bigger profile ride tyre, the place I'm running is also renowned for having chicanes in place.