R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - "How To Properly Build And Break In a Ball Differential and Slipper Clutch"
Old 01-24-2012, 07:52 AM
racer53
Tech Master

Thank You. I actually took my cars to my track today and they thought the diffs were fine. My SC10 and 22 ran very well today and I appreciate and hope you will do more videos in the future. The best I have seen yet!!
Thank you...
Is it possible to put too much diff lube on the diff balls and rings? I'm putting a ball diff in a xxxsct and it seem like it is way to tight , when I loosen it , it barks ... So I tighten it up and it seems like it's all the way cranked down tight. it feels to tight but when I test it it does not bark. I have no more adjustment left. Is this normal ? Thanks in advance
Based on my experience excess diff lube is forced out the sides of the diff when it is tightened down...However I have had experience with only older losi and associated diffs...

I would suggest making sure you're not tightening too much or too little, sometimes the sweet spot is only and 1/8th of a turn difference...

As Mike Champ suggested make sure all the components are new and you compress the thrust spring with pliers a couple of times before installation...
As odd as this might sound, I purchased my FTSC10 slightly used... 2 times actually. Being that I was not the one who put it together and having just come across this video, I had to try this meself as my diff seemed arefully noisy and not really smooth. I followed the parts of setting the diff and the slipper clutch (only to factory specs as I do not have running gear yet and will final adjust when I do). My diff was about 3 full turns too tight IMO and the slipper clutch appeared to be tightened about 6 to 7 full turns which to me is pretty tight. So I loosened up the diff and set the slipper at the recommended 3 and 1/2 turns and I tell you what... its quiet and smooth!!! I cannot wait to get running gear in it this weekend and test it out! I am still proably going to tear the diff out the truck and open it up to go through it but this thread makes it a very clear process.

Awesome write up and great videos. Thanks a million for doing this!
Great job, and thanks for the feedback...
I am new to running a ball diff. What normal maintenance is required to keep a ball diff running smooth?
After you run a freshly built diff a couple of laps you will want to make sure it hasn't loosened any, it is normal for me to occasionaly tighten my diff down a little after the race day is over...

Other than that the diff should last a while depending on how often you race...I usually replace mine after a month or so of practice and racing...But that's just me, and the best time to replace the diff is when it starts to feel rough or "gritty"
Thanks Racer53, this has been one of the best tutorials I've read regarding RC cars. I'm a born again rc'r and I only wished I had this kind of info back when I first started. I was never able to dial in my t3/b3's trannys back then, I'm going to rebuild my t4 tomorrow and see what I can do with a decent diff/tranny rebuild.

To those that aren't sure how to set up a diff or tranny and you haven't read the entire thread then all I can say is you're not interested in learning how to set yours up. This thread rocks, read it all the way.
Thanks, it's always encouraging to get good feedback...

Racer53