R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Associated RC12R5
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2012, 05:51 PM
RedBullFiXX
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JamesL_71
Hi Rick, thanks for posting this. The setup looks almost identical to what I am running at our local carpet track... which is med bite w/ a few bumps on the straight but overall pretty smooth. The only notable differences being you are using a heavier side shock oil and I am running a 2mm shim between the caster block and upper arm.

Is there a reason why you are running such large tires(43/45mm)? Is there a particular characteristic of this track that makes large tires more suitable than smaller ones?
Originally Posted by racer x 1
Ive heard that is the sweet spot for tires on this car? but Id like to hear what the pros have to say about it. Personally I like smaller tires in the 43/41mm range but that is on my top.
We start at 45-43 as it's not so big to cause issues in med to high bite.
44-42 is probably about optimum, but then you won't get as many runs on a set of tires, especially in mod.

For club racing, some of the guys run them out of the box, with just a bit of edge contour.

2 runs in mod, 2 weeks in blinky is about average on a set of Black/Yellow tires.

Pretty sure Rick was running 2mm shims for upper arm length, though I don't see it on the setup sheet ?

For the ROAR race last sun, the grip was the most intense I have seen it at TQ, smaller tires actually did work better, Edgar & I were running itty bitties in the Main. 42/40

With my Blinky car, I started the tires at 44/42, and ran them like that the whole day, starting at 4mm ride height, before the main the ride height was approx 3.2mm, I didn't change a pinion, or anything on that car.
Blinky is kind of low maintenance