R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/12 forum
Thread: 1/12 forum
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2012, 07:01 AM
JamesL_71
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

A couple questions for those 12th scale racers who use the Hot Bodies center shock:

1) Do you try to build the shock with zero rebound? If not, how much do you generally use? And do you use rebound as a tuning aid?

2) How often do you replace the shock bladder itself? It appears pretty thin... are there any other bladders that work with the HB shock? Maybe the CRC encore bladders??

3) Do you mount the shock with the body up or down? My thought was to mount it with the body upwards... if any air gets in the shock, it will naturally rise to the top. And since the stroke of the HB shock is so long, the piston will never reach the area where the bubbles converge.

4) Most importantly... How does the general damping of the shock compare to other known quantities? ie: With the same weight oil, how does the damping of the HB shock compare to the Associated shock?

I built both the HB and AE shocks with 30wt oil... the damping of the HB shock felt a fair bit lighter. If I was using 30wt in the Associated shock, where should I start with the Hot Bodies? 35wt? 40wt? Higher?

Thanks