R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Ask Keven Hebert, TeamAssociated / Reedy / ApexRC
Old 01-12-2012, 07:52 PM
burgboyz
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Keven H
This is a very good question, sorry I only saw it this late, I will try to be more on point with this thread ! . The setups posted are usualy what I found was best after a race. Usualy the latest setup it my starting point for the next race. Since most races I go to usualy get a good amount of grip at the end of the meeting I do not change my setup much. The one thing I tend to play with a lot is the amount of droop. It will change the way your car react and will reduce or increase weight transfer.

Usualy I will start with a little more uptravel on a green track and see what the car does after 2 runs when I am comfortable with the layout. Then as the traction come up I will change very minor stuff like droop ( little less if car rolls too much) also, I play with the front link for less camber gain if car gets too hard to drive but in general droop and the way you apply tires sauce will be enough. I will sauce let say 75% of front tires. The one thing I see ofter is people making their car stiffer to stop traction rolling but in most case it will only get worst before you are going to work the tires even more and will traction roll even more. Chassis drag is not a bad thing sometimes as it prevent you from traction rolling so usualy when it traction rolls I will make my car softer.

So to answer your question, at a big race I try not to change my car much other than droop and a shim here and there to make the car easier to drive and also tire sause a little less front if the car is too hard to drive and a shorter amount of time in the front if necessary to make the car easier to drive.

Hope this helps
Keven
Thanks for the reply. Better late than never!
It was good to hear/confirm that it can be as simple as that. As long as the car is set up properly/close to begin with of course.

I have been concentrating on shims, shock angles, springs, oil, and decreasing sauce on fronts. I will start paying more attention to small droop changes on my practice nights. Drilling my shock caps and swapping out the pistons and bladders made a big improvement.

Please keep posting your setups. Testing the subtle nuances between setups keeps me going back to the track!

Next chapter...Roll Center