R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Reedy Sonic
Thread: Reedy Sonic
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2012, 07:52 AM
Rick Hohwart
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by swrobel
Not real happy with my first experience with the reedy sonic or with the service department at associated. Apparently after 20+ years of racing I don't know how to tighten screws... Nor do the people building these motors. I bought a 10.5 to run in my short course truck and after one qualifier the motor came off at 180 which I thought was weird considering the 10.5 nemesis that I was running with the same gearing temped at 145. After further inspection I noticed that the timing was not set at the 0 mark. I grabbed the endbell and could physically move it. No biggy, I thought. Just set the timing back to 0 and tighten the screws that weren't tightened at the factory. Wrong!!! The next run the same thing happened again! Only this time the motor went into meltdown mode. So I sent it back. The tech guy tried to tell me that he tightened the screws down and it didn't move and they don't cover overheating..... I wonder if he was able to put it into a car and drive it to see if it would move after it was already melted?! I'm sure he knows how to do that too because I'm the dumb a$$ that hasn't learned lefty loosy righty tighty yet. smh
The service guy should have given you a new motor if the problem was the endbell not being tightened or not being able to be tightened completely. A running change has been made to the design but you may have an old one. If you send me your address by PM I will send you a new motor.

BUT, 180 deg is not too hot for this motor. And different motor brands may require different gear ratios to achieve similar performance. So one motor running cooler than another at the same temp is not unexpected.