R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya mini cooper
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2012, 08:44 AM
kaiser
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

380 systems have their issues, for example:

last night i was running my 4wd mini (abc genetic 210mm wb) with a 540 bl system, vs and traxxas rally 1/16 (225mm wb) with a 380 bl system, both fdr's were very close.

after 6 minutes or so my 540 system was cool to the touch and the 380 was too hot. i was way faster out of the corners, his top end was way too high.

380 systems are a much higher kv so they have much less torque and need to work alot harder to get up to speed. that top speed is alot more, but we all know what too much top end is like, not good.

thats not to mention the difference in run times, i could run for almost an hour (and still be cool to the touch), he could only run for 10-15 minutes (due to the tiny lipo vs my 4000mah full size 2s), but he was heat limited so he couldn't do that without damaging the motor.

380's spin too fast and have too little torque IMHO, and are much less efficient then 540 systems.

m chassis may be small but they are still near 1/10 weight, 380 systems are really intended for the 1/18 scales. again IMHO, as i have no data other then temps, ratios and runtimes.