R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Rc nitro newbie has messed up big time :(
Old 12-31-2011, 05:49 AM
RedKirsten
Tech Rookie

Questions?? Rc nitro newbie has messed up big time :(

Hi guys, I have been reading through here for some tips and there is some great info in here but unfortunately I just can't get my head around what screw is what!
I got my first ever nitro car - a truggy, a hsp gladiator - I hadnt realised how difficult they were. When I couldn't get it started a lad I know had a look at it, fiddled with screws with no joy - afterwards he told me well I don't know anything about car engines so don't know why I would be able to do this! I then took the car to a hobby shop for help - he didn't sell nitro cars but glow starters, fuel etc so assumed he would be ok. He eventually got the car started left it running for about 2 minutes by which point it was smoking out of every hole possible and stunk! I don't know if he turned it off or it cut off because he then gave it back to me saying he got it started so its fine and that it takes ages to tune them so just to take it home, get it started then leave it as it is for a full tank of fuel which will then be the engine run in and then I can start to tune. I got it home and haven't been able to start it at all!! It's not glow plug as I bought a couple of spares (that's the only thing I am confident with on the car - checking and changing glow plug)! I was assuming if I then got a car with an electric starter it would be easier so I bought a car and yay it started so very easily I let it run a tank of fuel, then stupidly I touched things that I have absolutely no comprehension off!! Anyway to cut a long story short, I got the car to start again but it cut out with a pop after a couple of seconds so I turned the gold screw (I believe that is the high end mixture valve/high speed mixture valve) now my car starts but as soon as I remove the glow plug starter it instantly cuts out. I have no idea looking at my manual what is what - I've even bought a Haynes manual but I just don't get it. Has anyone got any advice for me please apart from don't touch what you don't know? Also if I take a pic would anyone be able to write on the pic what part/screw is what for me please?
I'm now left with 2 cars and can't play with either