R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Hot Bodies TCX
Thread: Hot Bodies TCX
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2011, 04:50 PM
ShaunMac
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Airwave
So I have the same questions about low grip setups... I'm running the -2 front and rear supports, but I'm not sure it's a good idea on low-grip. They mainly change the damper inclination and the piston position in the damper. Having less oil above the piston does not seem to be a good idea... What do you think about that? Agreed. The less pack generated by the lower towers takes away a lot of grip. On low bite tracks you need all the grip you can get. Swap those towers for the stock ones. Set the shock length at 65mm and give it a try.

Ok let's take the problem from the start:
- First try, I was running double gear-diff, seemed very touchy, I decided to re-install ball diff and spool, Much better! What cst oils did you run? Putty in front and 700 - 1000cst in rear works well in low bite, but if traction is really really low then a spool/ball diff combo may be the ticket. Are any other fast racers using gear diffs at your track?

- Second try, oversteering a lot, I decided to change the way I sauce the tires. Only half in front, full in rear, better too! But I dislike it because I consider that the car has to behave correctly without asymmetric tire preparation... I've never had a car that worked the way I wanted it to on carpet with full sauce on the front. Not to say it can't be done but it would always bite too hard for me.

- Third try, once again, oversteering, I decided to remove spacers to make the roll center as low as possible in the rear and keep 1mm spacers in the front, I also adjust the droop to 6 in front and 4 in rear, quite better but car seemed slower... The low roll centers usually feel better but the car loses A LOT of corner speed. Too much to the point it feels like it stalls mid-corner. Try 1mm all around. You can also try reducing the front arm sweep. I usually run 1.5. It seems to have a good balance of entry, mid and exit steering.

Now the car is drivable but not fast... Fast drivers seem to use silver springs, in front and in rear..

I'm quite lost, I think that now I need more grip of course, but also traction...

And a lot of questions:
- Keeping anti-roll bars is really a good idea? I've never worked on a setup without them. But some really fast drivers don't use them.

- Is 3-hole, 45WT, silver springs the best combination? Track conditions, layout, temp, driving style and the rest of your setup will dictate what shock package to run. Moore and Hara often run different set-ups at the same race. You really have to try for yourself to know what's the best for you.

- I hear that long upper links in the rear make the car more stable but lower the corner speed, is that right? In my experience, the longer rear links make the car harder to drive. Especially, on low grip tracks.
- We are using MM Absolute 32 with MM V-cute Red, have you any experience with that combination? Only on asphalt.

Finally, take a peek on these two photos:
http://www.overrc.com/courses/course...1/IMG_9926.JPG
http://www.overrc.com/courses/course...1/IMG_9931.JPG

This car was faster than mine, and the settings seem to be going to the opposite direction as mine... WTF? Sometimes things seem to work backwards from the way they should. You just have to give different things a try.

Heeeeeeeelp! I'm very lost! HB cars are very fast on high-grip tracks, and it seems that nobody run on low-grip track...
See red above. I hope I helped a little and didn't further confuse things.