R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 3Racing Sakura Zero S
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2011, 07:54 AM
orcadigital
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by YR4Dude
What is the difference between the stock gear diffs that come standard in the Zero S kit and the Ver. 2 gear diffs for the Sakura Zero?
The main difference is the outdrives. They are aluminum instead of steel, and have wider slots designed to be used with pin blades. The gears look identical between the 2, and I do not know if they are any harder/softer.

So if I pick up a Zero S, I would need to upgrade the diffs?
No need to upgrade them unless you want to. It's hard to say how the wear will compare between steel outdrives, and aluminum with blades.

In looking at the parts, (ie, suspension arms, hubs, suspension arm pins) the 3Racing parts seem almost identical to XRay parts. Are the 3Racing suspension parts interchangeble with the XRay parts?

Also I noticed that that XRay shafts are 50mm / 52mm while the 3Racing shafts are shorter at 44mm / 46mm. I doubt that the Sakura Zero has shorter arms so is this because the Sakura Zero has longer diff outdrives?
Xray C-Hubs are a direct fit. Knuckles and arms I was under the impression match Tamiya offerings for the 416/417. You can use the shafts from the Tamiya 416/417, including the Spec-R ECS axles. They are 46mm.

One note on the rear arms, as I have not seen this mentioned yet. There are 2 rear arm options, regular Zero, and hard Zero. These arms are not the same. The hard arms are a direct replacement for the ones that come with the Zero S. The regular arms are shorter (narrow the car, but not sure how they compare to the XI arms) and have a second mounting hole for the lower shock mount. Both holes are further inboard then the hard arms. I am able to use the narrower standard arms and the narrow suspension blocks with the 44mm axles. 46mm would not work, and 42 would probably be better. I have not tried with a V2 diff (with the different outdrives). I also found I had to add an extra 0.5mm shim on the rear inner hinge pin with these arms (2.5mm total) and had to sand the rear hub carrier sides so that it rotated freely around the outer hinge pin.