R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Reflex Suspension Dynamics (RSD) TC6 Upgrades (vertical ball studs, pistons,etc)
Old 12-28-2011, 03:04 PM
CristianTabush
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Brian McGreevy
Track width has no impact on CG height. Cory, you are correct that increasing track width decreases weight transfer laterally. However, decreasing weight transfer by itself and leaving everything else constant would decrease lateral grip. Weight transfer is rate independent. Rate of weight transfer is constrained by the geometry of the sprung mass relative to the unsprung mass, the moment of inertia of the sprung mass and the lateral acceleration induced. The rate is controlled by all the springs and dampers (including the tires) within that system.

Increasing track width also increases the overall moment arm of the tire contact patch to the CG. This tends to provide increased grip in steady-state conditions after the transient weight transfer is completed. The balance comes in where you can decrease weight transfer more than you increase your moment about the CG (on a % basis) and you have less overall grip. Track width spacing at the hub is particularly effective for increasing the moment without large impacts to weight transfer, but does have the side-effect of offset change, which changes your scrub radius. Track width spacing at the inner arm points is particularly effective for decreasing weight transfer and I use it all the time to take reactivity out of the front end.
Brian, thanks for the correction, it's not the cg I am referring to, but perhaps relative CG? Instant Roll center? My terminology is off.

I don't remember the specific schematic, but there is more weight transfer with a narrower car. A narrower car will generate much more mid corner traction. Can you clarify what is at play here?