R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Schumacher Mi1
Thread: Schumacher Mi1
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2011, 01:39 AM
wollow86
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Evoracer
Cost issue has no bearing. It's all about the design. Sakura is new, MI1 is a 10 year old design. MI1 is most definitely a intermediate level chassis. Although it can easily be made to perform better, it isn't meant to compete on equal footing with the XI OR the TC5 for that matter. But again, on the right track with the right upgrades,in the right class.....I'm confident the MI1 could hold it's own. The other reason I like Schumacher is because of the company itself. Great product support. The Mission/MI1 is still actively being supported and that's saying something.
Hope that clarifies things a bit.
I'm not quite sure I follow your logic here Evo.. So its ok to be slower because its based on an older design? If someone is looking at a Mi1 as a new car, you cant turn around and say its good if you spend $90 on shocks and $150 on carbon fiber... And then only on the right track.

Unfortunately, parts support in Australia isn't as good as it is in the US or the UK for Schumacher. Its the main reason I retired the Mi1, from boosted stock. I will see how it goes in 540. I had a minimum of 5days wait if I was lucky and if I forked out for express post from the US. There are still places in Aus that can get me the parts, but they don't really keep much in stock so the shipping delay was even bigger.

I didnt expect my laptimes to drop with the new chassis. Especially because I still havent gotten used to the new car yet, and havent explored setup options fully. I beat my PB with the Mi1 on the very first run though. Id only put 1/2 a pack through the car the day before race day. I was blown away when I saw the times and I'd beaten it by .7 of a second.

Don't get me wrong. I, just like you, love the fact that a 10yr old chassis can be this competitive, and that anyone with an original Mission can bring their car out of mothballs. That's fantastic.

But if you had to buy a Mi1, and as you say, add on those upgrades to make it competitive, why shouldn't it be compared on price? At the end of the day, isn't that why a new racer would buy this car? Because you can say "my chassis is based on a 10 year old design"?