R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]
Old 12-23-2011, 07:42 PM
Evoracer
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GP40X
Even though the Novak SS motor is discontinued, they are still making the 17.5 & 13.5 SS motors for DODC (Dirt Oval Dot Com) for spec oval racing (these motors can only be purchased from a shop running DODC dirt oval rules through DODC for $79.95, This class also requires a Spec 3200 mAh lipo battery made by SMC specifically for DODC and also only avaialble through DODC affiliated shops). Maybe Rob could interest Novak in continuing the 25.5 SS motor as a lower cost option. I know they are still selling refurb SS 25.5 motors on the Novak Website so that is an option.

EVO, remember comm drops, various break in concoctions, long break in procedures involving both Naphtha and distilled water dunkings of the motors, Trinity Bushing Buster or brasso mixed with Mobil 1, motor dynos, a myriad of brushes, spinning motor backwards during break in, and running one motor a heat along with at least 6 to 8 Sanyo Red cell packs just to run Stock class so you would try to make the motors last more than a month (we're talking late 80s/early 90s here). $100.00 for a brushless motor is cheap compared to that.

That whole scene seems mind boggling now doesn't it? If new drivers could have seen the crazy number of brushes that were made to tweak a motor they'd be dizzy. I wouldn't give up that knowledge for anything though. It's made life with BL so much easier since we were exposed to so much variation and distruction ! I smoked alot of Reedy MVP motors trying to get the most out of Big Jim's motor tuning book (Yes folks...there were books written just about maintaining,tweaking and tuning a brushed motor)
Now repeat after me .."Brushless is WAAAAY easier"
Hey Monkey..it never changes does it !? All we can do is try and edumacate em'