R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Ask Paul Lemieux, RC America/MOTIV/Gravity RC
Old 12-22-2011, 09:06 AM
Paul L
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by Jay7
Hey Paul, quick question about Rear Diff fluid. I am running the Front Diff as well. I am currently using 1000CST oil in the rear diff and 500k in the front. Main question is what should I feel/aspect going up in CST from 1k to 2k-3k CST oil in the rear diff?
Hi. Lately i have found that rear diff fluid is best to be matched to the amount of traction that the track has. If their is lots of bite and you are running thin fluid i feel like the car is very hard to drive and can go off line easily. if their is very low bite and you are running too thick of fluid the car will be very loose coming off the corner and will never have consistent rear traction.
My rule of thumb now is.
low traction: 500
med traction 1000
high traction 2000
super high traction 3000.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by arn671
Hi Paul, wondering if you are setting your T3 12's up different from the T3 11's for mid to high traction carpet?
Looking at set up sheets and notice some guys going to high roll centers or almost (0.5mm shims) under the blocks. Cant remember ever having to go that route on carpet even when the bite was really high. Some have even gone to the exotek chassis.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Have a great holiday season by the way!
Hi. My set up has changed some but not a ton. mainly i have been tuning with camber links, diff oil and shocks more with the new car. i feel like their is plenty to be achieved with those things. I have one set up that is way off the wall but i wont know how well it works until after seeing the results at the snowbirds. i have been running the kit chassis and i am happy with it. the set ups for the car will start to get better as everyone gets to more major races with it.

Thanks, You Too!!

Originally Posted by NR
Hi Paul,

I just picked up an X12 Looking forward to building it.

Just wondering if you have any advice on building or setup wise different to kit?

I was going to use 7000 oil as opposed to kit, I'm running on a tight asphalt track

Thanks in advance.

Nathan
Hi Nathan. I do not have any super secret advice. for asphalt i would start with 700 in the center shock. as you said 7K in the tubes seems like a good place to start. then its just simple things like polishing the front king pins and link balls and center ball. I clean and grease the king pins with 10k oil quite often. but i think you will have some luck with the car, i have been liking mine.

Thanks

Originally Posted by Josh Hohnstein
Hi Paul LeMieux..........If thats even your real name!

Will you be dressing up as Santa this year?
Hi Josh. real name is paulington, and i already saw the real Santa at the mall.

Thanks

Originally Posted by voltar
Hi Paul,

Do you run a gear diff front and rear in your TC on carpet?

If so what oil do you use? thanks!
Hi!. I still normally use a spool in the front. In the rear i most commonly use 2000cst but you can read above in this post for more clarification on rear diff oil.
Thanks