R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/12 forum
Thread: 1/12 forum
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2011, 09:02 PM
mracer
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JamesL_71
What is a typical dual rate range for 12th carpet?

I did my first day of practice today with the AE 12R5.1(been 8 yrs since Ive ran 12th) and I ended up with my dual rate at 45%. That seems a bit low... but I used to run 12th on asphalt, never carpet.

I also noticed that the car would start out with gobs of steering... almost too much, to where it was very difficult to drive for the first 1 minute. Then it seemed to find a groove and would be great for the next 4-5 mins. And then it would pick up a push. The track was a little dirty and hadnt been sprayed, however.

The front tires had tons of fuzz and fibers on them when I pulled the car off(running Jaco Blacks in front). Does this indicate that I need to try a different rubber compound? Maybe a natural rubber tire instead of synthetic?
I am kinda dealing with the same thing from the front blacks. The best thing I have found to do is keep it in the race "line" this seems to help some. You can also vacuum the track. Blacks seem to be easier to drive, but my car (12R5.1) is doing the exact same thing. I think the push is coming from the debris they are picking up. I have also tired .18 springs in the front. This gives me a ton of steering at first then settles in to about right. The downside is if you don't round out your turns you can lift a rear wheel. Some will depend on the rest of your setup. I am a newbie stumbling with it too.