R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya F104 Pro!
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2011, 11:17 AM
F N CUDA
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DanDan
Hi Guys,

Just got myself a F104x1 and ready into F1.

However, I have purchased Tamiya rubber tires and tamiya foam rims..

I searched around and know that Pitz tires can be glue on foam rims, but wondering are those tamiya rubber tires also able to glue on foam rims? Or do I have to purchase those tamiya mesh rims.

Many Thanks

Zenkins
If you don't have to run the Tamiya tires for a TCS race or club rules then don't even waste the money for rims to mount them. Get the Pit Shimzu 571 and 572 and have a dialed setup. No contest.

Originally Posted by JamesHealey
How do you guys like your F104 to handle?
Understeering and predictable or Oversteering and a bit of a handfull

How do you attack corners? do you take the "perfect line" and keep it all in control? or do you like the rear to steer the car a touch?

I actually change my driving style for foams vs rubber which I think is probably a bit odd, but I like understeer with rubber and to get it to really take smooth lines and the ideal line. Where as with foams I like the back end to be a bit looser and to be able to get the car to rotate in the rear and slide a touch.
You can get that car to stick front and rear with the Pits.
No under or oversteering. Lock it in and drive the snot out of it.
I did not try foams on the F104 but did run foams on the F103 and had the same results, lock it in and drive the snot out of it!
No reason to have understeer and predictable or oversteer and a handful since the Pit tires came out.
Those are traits of the F104 for sure but not with these tires.
I was probably the last to admit that the F104 could actually do this but I am all in now as my car is super dialed on asphalt and carpet with little changes needed to switch back and forth.
Get that rear end super loose, light damper oil, light shock oil and spring and lots of rear pod droop. Adjust as necessary to regain steering after the rear is locked in.
That's what is workin for me.