View Single Post
Old 12-09-2011, 06:32 AM
artwork
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dinorider
Officially, In Japanese, it's:

Tah-Mee-Yah

The 'Ta-Mhi-Ya' is usually seen as a common American mispronounciation.

The same with Nikon cameras. It's commonly pronounced as 'Nhy-kon' in American english, but it's actually 'Nee-kon' in Japanese. Nikon is shortened from Nippon-Kogaku, which is roughly 'Japan lens works'

All Japanese words spelled in English with the letter 'i' are usually pronounced as a double E if you wish to read them properly. i.e.: Mi is really Mee, not Mhy. Hi is really Hee, not Hy.

Other commonly anglicised errors include: Kyosho. It's not 'Kee-Oh-Sho' or 'Kai-Oh-Sho'. In Japanese, it's 'Keo-Sho'. Two syllables. Not three.

Another error that is commonly heard in Australia (dunno about the USA) is Subaru. For some funky reason, Aussies pronounce Subaru as 'Suburu' with a very light middle syllable. It's as though that they are afraid of the 'A' in the middle of Subaru so they gloss over the 'Ba' and pronounce it as a very light 'bu'. So much that many Aussie kids on the car forums actually spell Subaru as 'Suburu'. In proper Japanese. the 'Ba' in actually accented so it reads as 'Su-BAH-ru'. The Aussies totally turned it around. Annoying.

Ok sorry for the OT. Back to the regular programming now.
Nice...Thanks for the info, glad to hear I have had it right all of these years!