Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Stupid noob question >

Stupid noob question

Stupid noob question

Old 10-06-2017, 10:37 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Stupid noob question

So as you know, there's always an amp rating on an esc (60a, 120a, etc). What does this mean though? Been in the hobby for a while and I really don't know the meaning of this rating lol.
Old 10-07-2017, 03:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

They often even have two amp ratings.

In theory, they give you the maximum current the ESCs can handle without getting damaged. They usually give the continuous (and on many also the short time peak) rating.

Whether or not ESCs can really handle e.g. 160A for a long time and/or >700A in bursts is up for debate. Some components in them probably will be able to handle these currents - but the whole unit, as installed in the car (with all the wires and plugs in the game)? I wouldn't bet on it.
Old 10-07-2017, 06:23 AM
Tech Apprentice

thanks.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:58 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Just make sure the esc you have is rated for the motor you are using. A 17.5 motor requires less amps than say a 5.5 motor.
Old 12-01-2017, 06:00 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sum guy
So as you know, there's always an amp rating on an esc (60a, 120a, etc). What does this mean though? Been in the hobby for a while and I really don't know the meaning of this rating lol.
Hobbywing has good reliable equipment.
Old 12-01-2017, 08:07 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

As others have stated above if the ESC is rated at 120amps its the continuous rating the ESC can handle for an extended period of time. The burst rating is the highest draw that the ESC can handle for a short period of time before it overheats or overloads.

Although 700amps is an insane amount of power and I believe most of the RC connectors that people use today will melt right around 300 amps or so. I know Anderson Power Poles and original Deans connectors are good to more than 350 before things start to happen(melting/SC/wire desolder). The larger XT60 and XT90 connectors can handle more from what I have heard.