Search
Like Tree5Likes

Home made rc car rubber tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 09:39 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Home made rc car rubber tires

Hello!

Maybe this topic has already been discussed in this forum, I have a question about home made rc rubber tires, has already anyone done this? As you know the tarmac surface very fast wear the rubber tires in my case after six runs, so I am thinking about the possibility to make a rc car tire at home. If there is some good idea how to do some quality tires at home I would be very interesting to hear it.

Thanks.
Old 09-16-2017, 09:49 AM
Tech Master

I t would be really hard to do . You need large machines to make these little tires.
Nerobro and FunStuff like this.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:35 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Years and years ago, you could make re-capped OnRoad RC tires by cutting a bicycle tire to length and gluing it over a foam tire or a worn tire. For what RC tires cost today, it wouldn't be worth it and actually making your own from the bottom up would require a six-figure investment in manufacturing equipment as mentioned above.

FWIW, there are asphalt/tarmac OnRoad tracks where the "fast guys" mount four new tires every run or complain if the rules won't let them; 6 runs isn't bad.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:47 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I think it would be a fun experiment at the least. you could create a small two part silicone mold off of an existing tire. The real tricky part is going to be getting a cavity on the inside for the foam... You could also 3d print a sub-structure like an airless industrial tire has and then glue a simpler off the shelf rubber piece to the outside. The sub structure could even be printed as part of your wheel.
Have fun!
Old 09-21-2017, 11:02 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hello!

I am not considering to rubber casting in some mold, I am thinking more about the cutting some rubber tubes or something. I am searching the proper size of tube and the right material. Any ideas maybe someone already doing this?

Thanks.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:37 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hello!

Any idea which rubber tyre should I choose for tarmac racing, because I already try different choices the expensive and the cheapest one but the life time was the same in both cases. Four runs and tires has been totally worn out. This is become a quite expensive hobby, maybe anyone can share some experiance about mentioned topic?

Thanks.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:30 AM
Tech Elite

foams.
Old 04-24-2018, 03:50 AM
Tech Master

have you contacted a tire manufacturer of rc car tires???.. to see what they have to say.... or offer a better choice ???

do not get into 1/4 scale cars.. its 50 dollars per tire.. and need 2 sets for one summer... sometimes 3 sets.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:26 AM
Tech Addict

hard to do with no good performance. Not worth the time.
Old 04-25-2018, 06:25 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

You'll never compete with the R&D these companies do to create tires. The RC tire technology continues to advance making tire selection for specific conditions critical for the top racers. If you are competing, you have to pay to play. If you are just racing for fun, then sure you could try to find some cheaper alternative but they won't put you to the top of the leaderboards.

FWIW, I do real life racing (not at the professional level, but at the lower level NASA/SCCA). Racers spend $1500+ per weekend on a set of tires to win so be happy with RC prices.
J Lee likes this.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:35 AM
Tech Master

I do not know the track or the RC Car... the op is using...

this is my first year racing in dirt....... I have 14 days of racing.. tires still look NEW... and perform as well

I am using AKA brand... yes they are 30 dollars for 2... all season.. and I am sure I can get another season with them.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:16 AM
Tech Adept

Has anyone tried the unbranded tires available on Ebay? I see where they are selling 6 sets for like $35 with wheels and foams.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:35 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by triguy1975
Has anyone tried the unbranded tires available on Ebay? I see where they are selling 6 sets for like $35 with wheels and foams.
I have. Depends what kind of driving you are doing. Found a good set for a FWD touring car I’ve got. I don’t know how they would have done in race conditions, but worked for what I needed at the time.
I did start USGT racing last summer. Typical I could get 2 race days out of a set. Eight 6 minute races. Plus a lot of practice. Tires still worked. But lap times would begin to drop. I could still use them away from track, and they would still be fairly consistent.
triguy1975 likes this.
Old 05-03-2018, 04:13 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly

I have. Depends what kind of driving you are doing. Found a good set for a FWD touring car I’ve got. I don’t know how they would have done in race conditions, but worked for what I needed at the time.
I did start USGT racing last summer. Typical I could get 2 race days out of a set. Eight 6 minute races. Plus a lot of practice. Tires still worked. But lap times would begin to drop. I could still use them away from track, and they would still be fairly consistent.
That's the same for me right now as well. I just use them for racing until they are gone and then practice with them off track. The ebay tire packs look pretty similar to some of the brand tires. I may give them a go just to see. Worst case I throw them on my "road buggies" everyone else plays with.
Old 05-17-2018, 01:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default This is the reason for wear the tires:)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.