R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone

Old 09-10-2017, 03:05 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Building up 1st onroad.

I've been in and out of the R/C scene the last 7 or so years...previously had a Mugen MBX5T, Slash VXL, HPI E-10, HPI Mini Trophy t ruck, RC18B and still have a Traxxas 1/16th scale VXL...but things change so fast..

So, now, I've got a TC3 roller set up for VTA on its way to me...and I'm beginning my adventure into onroad stuff.

I'm not gonna be racing it, it'll be mainly be for hooning around in parking lots and what not....I'm curious as to what KV of brushless motor should I be looking for? I know my Slash 2WD had a 3500kv motor with its Velineon system and it was fast. But since this is an onroad and the system has to drive 2 more wheels (also smaller wheels overall), I'm unsure of what I need...I was looking at motors around 4000kv~ I know they'd be incredibly fast but little power, so wasn't too sure on them either.

I was looking at Turnigy Trackstar stuff, since i'm on a bit of a budget, it seems to be good stuff....or are there other reputable china brands out there? I've had good experience with Hobbywing stuff in the past as well.

I'm also looking for some cheap old school muscle car bodies, prepainted...I've searched and searched and I've managed to find a couple Imports like R34 and RX7 on sites like eBay and RCGeek, but no old school American Muscle....without buying a whole kit.

any help is appreciated.
Shadow Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 03:33 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Choice is wide open as to motor rating. Hpi uses a 4000kv system in the Sport3 Flux.
Billy Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 06:11 PM   #3
Tech Rookie

Yea, noticed. hence my going for the 4k mark for Kv rating.

Been browsing Hobbyking and eBay since posting this. Think I've settled on my Motor/ESC combo. Thought I'd post here to see opinions...or issues.

Found these on Hobbyking's site...can't post links yet but they're listed as such on their site as I have it.

Motor: Turnigy XK-3650 3900Kv (purple can)

ESC: Turnigy Brushless ESC 60A w/ Reverse prog. (v2.2)

Sensorless, so might get a bit of cogging but don't think it'll be much concern for me...since I'm not racing.

and I'll be getting a program card with it.
Old 09-10-2017, 07:47 PM   #4
Tech Master

Don't know that system. But I've been racing a Turnigy Trackstar system this summer without issue. Plus a year of off track use.

With touring cars it's about finding useable speed. It was cool at first hitting 50mph plus, but got old. I've found 40mph to max for where I drive. Most of time is under 30mph
Old 09-10-2017, 10:45 PM   #5
Tech Rookie

I was looking at the Trackstars..though they seem to only be rated for 2s LiPo and I've got a couple 3s I'd like to get some use out of...and that one is rated for 2s-3s

I might keep my eyes open in the buy/sell for a deal on a used Brushless setup too. I've got a brushed setup for now.
Old 09-11-2017, 04:33 AM   #6
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Fox View Post
I was looking at the Trackstars..though they seem to only be rated for 2s LiPo and I've got a couple 3s I'd like to get some use out of...and that one is rated for 2s-3s

I might keep my eyes open in the buy/sell for a deal on a used Brushless setup too. I've got a brushed setup for now.
I figured 3s was in your plan. Always is when people first try road cars. I did. Thought it was a step down from 3s off road. 2s isn't. It's a different speed sensation with touring cars.
Old 09-12-2017, 02:47 PM   #7
Tech Rookie

3s Is just what I happened to have from running my 2wd Slash, but they've been sitting for so long, I've no idea if they work anymore. Might have to add a couple to my HK order, or see what my LHS has in stock...
Old 09-13-2017, 03:45 AM   #8
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Fox View Post
3s Is just what I happened to have from running my 2wd Slash, but they've been sitting for so long, I've no idea if they work anymore. Might have to add a couple to my HK order, or see what my LHS has in stock...
Ok. I'd suggest looking into some 2s. It's possible to run on 3s. Just need very good surface
Old 09-13-2017, 06:26 PM   #9
LJH
Tech Adept

Hobby King might be the single worse company in the RC industry.

Cheers,
Jim
LJH is offline   Reply With Quote