Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Motor Capacitors???????? >

Motor Capacitors????????

Motor Capacitors????????

Old 01-27-2006, 03:55 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Motor Capacitors????????

i have bought a Putnam Pro-Pulsion motor and i am using a M.Sonik-4 RV ECO 20 speed controller. It says in the instructions i need to fit with 2 x 0.1uF capacitors. Is this right?? I have wired it up without capacitors and ran it a little bit and when you accelerate just a little it makes a strange noise. PLEASE HELP.
Old 01-27-2006, 04:16 AM
Tech Addict

good question umm when i used race electric i had to do that to my stock motor's so i guess any brushed engine need's the 2 capacitor's ....has something to do with power load or something hopefully a pro will answer this for you and fill me in about it too.

so pro's please help and if you dont mind can you explain why they are needed?
Old 01-27-2006, 06:48 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Motor Cap

Well basically the capacitors will filter the radio noise caused by the operation of your motor. Alot of bad things can happen without them twitching, runaways, and stuff of that nature. As far as the noise coming from your Esc is concerned, I personally don't know about that model.
Old 01-27-2006, 12:48 PM
Tech Initiate

The noise is coming from the motor. Sort of like a buzzing sound. Only does it if you pull the trigger a little and the car doesnt move.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:55 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rusty_dagger
The noise is coming from the motor. Sort of like a buzzing sound. Only does it if you pull the trigger a little and the car doesnt move.

That is the motor trying to move the car, except it isnt getting enough power, so all it does is try, but it cant. A way to fix the problem is to pull the trigger more.