Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By MarkA
  • 1 Post By Billy Kelly

been awhile, thinking of starting over

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 07:59 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default been awhile, thinking of starting over

Well I've been out of the hobby since 1992. thinking of getting back in?
my previous experience ; had 2 Tamiya hornets, and a kosha front wheel drive.

Always wanted a associated RC10T when they came out.

Now after looking the past month, I'm confused on stadium trucks and short track? only thing I can tell is the wheels located outside of the body on stadium trucks.

Money is also a problem, limited funds to get started, also other than running at home, closest track I've found is over 60 miles away.

Not fond of the rtr packages (traxxis -slash) I've seen for sale, part of the fun was building.
tempted on buying used - but don't want to spend tons on repairing, finding parts, can't find parts obsolete, etc... also no local stores, I'm in the boonies!

any input would be helpful, even if you tell me "don't waste my time & $" which I don't have much of either.
Old 05-01-2017, 03:41 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Kits are still available. Just they are the minority outside of race grade. Depends what kind of vehicle. I've found that a lot of people are strictly online buyers. Never been to a hobby store. And depending on where you located, tracks can be few a far between.
RTR has become the way of the hobby.
Old 05-01-2017, 03:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 141 (100%+)

Tons of good deals here on the boards but you need to figure out what you are wanting to run. Some kits some RTR but built buy someone.

Vehicles are a lot more durable now then they were back in the day. But also depends on the driver.

You can do good with about any of the major brands out there right now just as you stated what your willing to spend.

Just getting back into the game you wont need the best and greatest out there, the older generations are just as competitive also.

A trip to the local track would be a good suggestion to see what you want to run. Something might seem like a good class until you see everything about it and what it takes to run. Nothing like buying something and then finding out your not into that style or type of racing.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rctazmanmc

A trip to the local track would be a good suggestion to see what you want to run. Something might seem like a good class until you see everything about it and what it takes to run. Nothing like buying something and then finding out your not into that style or type of racing.
+1 on that! Go and find out what is being run at the track first. Nothing like buying a stadium truck and finding out everyone is running short course and buggies. And who knows, if at a track with onsite hobby shop, there might be a possibility of a great "last years" model for sale. Better yet, might find a used last years model up for grabs .
Old 05-01-2017, 08:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

Honestly I like trucks but have only had buggies, not sure what I want?
I know certain brands, associated, traxxis, kyosho, losi, tamyia ...

I don't know anything about these other new brands? exceed? iron track? mad gear? ecx?
they seem affordable but are they the same as the stuff you buy at walmart?
are they race worthy?
are parts easily found?
Or should I stick with brands I know? ( I won't do Tamyia again, went through too many parts.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

don't be afraid of used....the odds are pretty good whoever sells you something, you will be racing against next week.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:32 AM
Tech Elite

go with a used rc how can you put a rc10 in with a slash 2 different styles..buy a used maybe a durango stadium..
Old 05-04-2017, 09:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sharky8js
Well I've been out of the hobby since 1992. thinking of getting back in?
my previous experience ; had 2 Tamiya hornets, and a kosha front wheel drive.

Always wanted a associated RC10T when they came out.

Now after looking the past month, I'm confused on stadium trucks and short track? only thing I can tell is the wheels located outside of the body on stadium trucks.

Money is also a problem, limited funds to get started, also other than running at home, closest track I've found is over 60 miles away.

Not fond of the rtr packages (traxxis -slash) I've seen for sale, part of the fun was building.
tempted on buying used - but don't want to spend tons on repairing, finding parts, can't find parts obsolete, etc... also no local stores, I'm in the boonies!

any input would be helpful, even if you tell me "don't waste my time & $" which I don't have much of either.
The main difference between stadium truck and short course is, in addition to the body being larger and covering the wheels, the sc trucks have a longer wheelbase and wider track making them slightly larger overall. For bashing, the larger body is advantageous though as then it takes the punishment instead of your exposed suspension components doing so.

Since, "...go to the track and see what they run." isn't very good advice in your case, consider forfeiting the building experience and going with something like the Slash. These days, cars are really only race-grade or rtr and nothing race grade is anything you'd probably enjoy running through a mud hole in your yard for example whereas the rtr stuff (Traxxas in particular) is perfect for that. As well, every hobby store in the country, online or local, carries Traxxas parts and they're affordable and upgradeable. Won't ever be a "race truck" but I get the impression that won't be an issue for you.
Sharky8js likes this.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the responses
Been looking at used, seems as much as new!

Been looking at some stuff from one of the sponsors of the site, any one have any experience with Exceed? , Mad gear? iron track? they are in my price range but not sure if I should hold out and find something else?
Old 05-05-2017, 09:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

I was in the same boat as you a few years back. I ALWAYS wanted an RC10!!! Ended up getting a Slash and it was fun up until the exact second a guy that I met at the track let me drive his TLR 22SCT.

Grab a kit that you'll like, get a cheap used radio and receiver, and throw in a new Hobbywing motor and ESC. You'll be happy, even if it takes some saving or purchased in stages.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

The issue you'll have with used cars is that you are not really looking for racer stuff and used basher cars are ones where you have to be able to perceive if it was something that was a gift to a kid who lost interest after running it for 5mins or something someone tried to jump over their house and that's hard to do online.

I can't honestly recommend any of the Chinese un-brand cars, advertisers or not. The durability is just not there and you're often tied to a single source from which to order replacement parts.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:28 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Thanks for the responses

Been looking at some stuff from one of the sponsors of the site, any one have any experience with Exceed? , Mad gear? iron track? they are in my price range but not sure if I should hold out and find something else?
In my area used is usually 1/2 price of new at most. Local hobby store does a good business buying and selling used vehicles. Stays with the major brands.

I've owned one Exceed. A 1/18 driftcar. Been just fine. But for their other stuff I wouldn't suggest it. I've read mixed opinions. But they agree that parts can be hit or miss.
Sharky8js likes this.
Old 05-06-2017, 06:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for the responses

If you are selling a used rc, you are doing pretty well if you get 50% of the new price. These people are fishing.