Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
why dual one-ways? >

why dual one-ways?

why dual one-ways?

Old 01-19-2006, 11:56 PM
Tech Adept

Default why dual one-ways?

seems that all pro level kits now come with dual one-ways (pulley and differential). question is, why is there a need for a one-way pulley when there's already a one-way differential? i can only guess that having the pulley with the one-way diff already in makes the drivetrain ever slightly more efficient, is that all the difference there is? am i missing something? greatly appreciate any explanations on that.

i'm currently trying to make my almost box stock hpi pro3 competitive, and the setup of choice for my track is to run dual one-ways. i've already got the one-way diff, and considering a one-way pulley, which may be hard to find around here, but possible. should i or should i not get one?

thanks and cheers!
Old 01-20-2006, 11:30 PM
Tech Master

You guessed the correct reason. You can order the part from HPI directly.

www.hpiracing.com

Just go to buyhpi in the menu on the left side
Old 01-25-2006, 11:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

Is there any point in instanlling a one-way pulley ONLY? I know some just install front one ways but what about center(pulley) one-ways?
Old 01-26-2006, 07:42 AM
Tech Adept

yep, it's sorta like an intermediate setting between dual diffs and front one-way. gain offpower steering but on-power still behaves like a dual diff car
Old 01-26-2006, 08:23 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I ran my 415 this way it it really kicked ass

Originally Posted by blindjudge
Is there any point in instanlling a one-way pulley ONLY? I know some just install front one ways but what about center(pulley) one-ways?
Old 01-30-2006, 04:13 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default Duel Diffs????

Are you saying that you can put a ball diff on the front of the car? Have any pics of this? I don't believe I've ever seen this before. I am interested in how that is done.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:30 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by gasman1
Are you saying that you can put a ball diff on the front of the car? Have any pics of this? I don't believe I've ever seen this before. I am interested in how that is done.
kits used to come with front and rear ball diffs some years back. but one-ways got so popular and so recognized for it's performance gain that manufacturers decided to throw it in the kit. maybe that's why u're unaware of front ball diffs. try looking at the lower end kits, they come with dual ball diffs
Old 02-03-2006, 12:01 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default one ways

Some people need to stop trying to reinvent the wheel. If one ways are such a big deal why don't they use them on big cars? Because it doesn't work. They used limited slip diffs. physics and laws of motion don't change from big to little cars.
Old 02-03-2006, 07:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jbenthobbies
Some people need to stop trying to reinvent the wheel. If one ways are such a big deal why don't they use them on big cars? Because it doesn't work. They used limited slip diffs. physics and laws of motion don't change from big to little cars.
Not true, running a one-way on asphalt is straight up faster than a diff. Also, just because the laws of physics apply to rc cars doesn't mean they behave the same way real cars do. 1/10 touring cars are 1/10 the size of a real car, but they are far from 1/10 the mass of its 1:1 counterpart. So it's mass to size ratio is completely off from a real car.

Now this example is to the complete extreme, but an example nonetheless. At nano-sized scales, properties of elements are different from when they are "normal" sized, like gold. When extremely tiny, it glows red and all its boiling point, melting point, etc. are different from gold that most people think of. Again, a complete extreme, but just to show that that while the laws of physics don't change, how they affect certain objects can (or be altered).
Old 02-03-2006, 08:52 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by jbenthobbies
If one ways are such a big deal why don't they use them on big cars? Because it doesn't work.
'cos there aren't large enough one-way bearings??