Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
New and need help on what to buy >

New and need help on what to buy

Old 01-19-2006, 06:20 PM
Tech Rookie

I had an electric 4x4 buggy 10+ years ago and did not like the short run times, so i think I want to go gas. I want to buy a durable 4x4 Nitro monster truck, and I would like to spend $450-$500 Max for everything I need. I would like something that is not too difficult too work on since I am new and and that will have parts available for some time to come. My local hobby shops sell Traxxas and have been pushing the T-Maxx (That is what they carry). I have read that they do not handle well. I have also looked at the Savage 25 and have read they are difficult to work on. I don't mind the idea of working on the vehicle and engine tuning, but I don't want an engine/truck where I will spend all of my time working on it and not driving it. I have read quite a bit of bad things about the DuraTrax Warhead and its problems. I am completly lost on what to do. I did here a new Savage is coming out next month that is supposed to be easier to work on. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by JD2006; 01-19-2006 at 07:04 PM.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:22 PM
Tech Adept

I was in the same boat few years ago, I just ran electric and decided to try nitro. I statered out with a Traxxas SportMaxx and it was pretty good, but it got stolen. So I replaced it with a Traxxas Revo. This is a a very good truck. Very durable, and easy to maintain. You can bash and race with it. For RTR it handles pretty good. The only thing you need it a 7.2V battery pack for the EZ Starter, Fuel, Fuel bottle, 8AA(for the radio), a few extra glow plugs(you'll need them when breaking in the engine) and maybe a temp gun (to help tune the engine). And you can pick one up for under $500. I never had a problem with my Revo, I got it when it first came out and had for about 8 months and ran about 2 gallons of fuel through it and engine still ran strong, but I made the mistake of letting a girlfriend drive it and met it's end against a dumptruck. But I would check out the Revo, definatleya good choice.
Old 01-20-2006, 11:34 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

e

Last edited by Khan48; 07-21-2014 at 12:35 PM.
Old 01-21-2006, 07:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (94%+)
Wink

Originally Posted by JD2006
I had an electric 4x4 buggy 10+ years ago and did not like the short run times, so i think I want to go gas. I want to buy a durable 4x4 Nitro monster truck, and I would like to spend $450-$500 Max for everything I need. I would like something that is not too difficult too work on since I am new and and that will have parts available for some time to come. My local hobby shops sell Traxxas and have been pushing the T-Maxx (That is what they carry). I have read that they do not handle well. I have also looked at the Savage 25 and have read they are difficult to work on. I don't mind the idea of working on the vehicle and engine tuning, but I don't want an engine/truck where I will spend all of my time working on it and not driving it. I have read quite a bit of bad things about the DuraTrax Warhead and its problems. I am completly lost on what to do. I did here a new Savage is coming out next month that is supposed to be easier to work on. Any help is appreciated.
Go with Revo great truck RDlogics or Towerhobbies carries it.
Old 01-21-2006, 09:59 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

The Savage is not hard to work on.It just looks that way,Working on T Maxxes is(IMHO)a lot more time consuming,Revos are not any easier to work on.I think the Revo would be a Great Choice,Just a nice all around MT.Plus every one seems to make hop up parts for it.Parts and support are second to none.The Losi LST2 is another great truck,It's about $100 out of your price range but it comes with most of the good hop ups plus a DSM radio and good servos.It Has the Best Radio gear for an RTR MT.One place where All the others are Lacking..Traxxas and HPI do need up graded Servos and Radios.
Old 01-24-2006, 03:43 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks a lot for the input. I am not buying until mid March so I will atleast checkout the Savage X(probably out of my price range to get everything I need to run), but at this point the Revo is at the top of my list.
Old 01-24-2006, 06:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (94%+)
Thumbs up

Thanks a lot for the input. I am not buying until mid March so I will atleast checkout the Savage X(probably out of my price range to get everything I need to run), but at this point the Revo is at the top of my list.
Revo good choice you can't go wrong.
Old 01-27-2006, 06:19 PM
Tech Adept

Lightbulb

revo is the best racer but if your looking for a backyard basher you get a savage #1 durability