Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Airtronics MX-3s its a good radio for racing >

Airtronics MX-3s its a good radio for racing

Airtronics MX-3s its a good radio for racing

Old 01-18-2006, 07:21 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Airtronics MX-3s its a good radio for racing

Hi, I need a new for racing on road sedan nitro the airtronics MX-3s its good or need other radio like M11 , M8 or futaba 3pk..
Old 01-19-2006, 01:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The only complaint I had with the MX-3 is that it feels a little "cheapy." But function-wise it's great. No need to spend more money on an M11 or 3PK, you would never need to use at least half of all its function.
Old 01-19-2006, 06:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I own 3PJ and 3PK. And in all honesty for the years i have used them i rarely use the fuctions that it offers over the MX3 or other lower end radios. ITs really a matter of having the extra cash and wanting the BLING in your hands. Sure the local hots shots will claim the high end radios respond faster yadayadayda... but we are talking responce that most people could never detect.

What u got is very race worthy, and most importantly is FM reliable
Old 01-21-2006, 09:50 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I thought the MX-3 is a really good radio,Easy to use,Has all the functions you need plus its light and it's easy on the batterys.I did change the wheel to a aftermarket one and it made the radio feel a lot better.It's a cheap way to get into a nice radio.With all the guys that switched to DSM with their M8"s their are a lot of good used recievers out their for a good price that work with the MX-3.I never had any problems with mine.
Old 01-21-2006, 07:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (94%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by fastmanpr
Hi, I need a new for racing on road sedan nitro the airtronics MX-3s its good or need other radio like M11 , M8 or futaba 3pk..
It depends on your budget because I know in the RC world you always want the best that fits in your budget the M8,M11,3PK all great radio's if you are advanced or if you are beginner MX-3 would be good for you.
Old 01-21-2006, 09:30 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ivan Dickson
It depends on your budget because I know in the RC world you always want the best that fits in your budget the M8,M11,3PK all great radio's if you are advanced or if you are beginner MX-3 would be good for you.
And why would the MX-3 not be good for a more seasoned RC'er,Does it not use the same receiver as the M8,It uses the same micro-processor's as the M8,It does not have all the features that the M8 has but it has every one of the features that you need.I do have quite a few high end radios and I still use an MX-3 for my nitro stadium truck because it's light.
Old 01-22-2006, 05:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

KAT is right and its the point i tried to make in my post above. It has all the items needed to get your car around reliably and competativly.

The 65 functions and 10 menues my 3PK have are totally useless when "less then 5 " is announced from the race director. Once a race starts all the stuff over and above your trigger finger and wheel are pretty much useless.

Yes the high end stuff ads lots of good things to your life. But when all is said and done its got to send signals to the car and the MX-3 along with futabas lower end FM radios all do that.

The budget thing is correct always get the best u can afford. But also keep things into perspective. Will the extra 100$ for a better radio give back the same perfromance boost that a 100$ in tires and motors would? Keep it real and understand what your buying. Sub menus and extra features are great but there not a nessasity. I hate to see newer racers pushed into spending above there budget for stuff that they dont really need. When it comes to other items such as chargers and ESC i totally agree get the best u can aford. But with radios get an FM and get the best price u can find.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:10 AM
Tech Initiate

Default radios

Good to see you guys telling it like it is. I've owned a M8 which was indeed a great radio but, function wise it's overkill for the application at hand. I find more that people tend to buy these top end radios with the misconception that it will (A) improved their driving and (B) make them look the part of racer. Unfortunately, the only thing that improves your driving is practice and looking like a pro doesn't make you drive like one. As long as the Mx-3 is comfortable in your hand your good. It already has all the features you need to win a race.

Besides as it is there is alot of expenses involved in Rc. $100 dollar can get you stuff that will make a difference tires, motors, brushes, maybe some spare arms. So in the end just go practice and work on consistency that's what really matters.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:04 AM
Tech Adept

Default raido's

I have 2 mx-3 and an m8,all good the m8 a better quality raido.the mx-3s more simple to use easier to find the switches for me.What ever you choose to get learn how to use it well. most recently I've found alot of the driving issues I've been having were raido related so read all the books 3 times then get someone more seasoned to help you figure it all out. good luck racing!
Old 01-23-2006, 10:07 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Don't rule out the JR XS3. After 14 years in R/C, I will without reservation, tell you that it is the best radio I've used, period.

IMO, Airtronics' grips are too slim. That's all.
Old 01-27-2006, 05:06 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks to all for help me ..

thanks
Old 01-28-2006, 07:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (94%+)
Originally Posted by fastmanpr
Thanks to all for help me ..

thanks
Which radio did you decide to get just curious.
Old 01-28-2006, 09:24 AM
Tech Initiate

Ivan,

I buy a used Airtronics M8.