Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Not a n00b, but need some help... >

Not a n00b, but need some help...

Not a n00b, but need some help...

Old 01-17-2006, 10:33 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Not a n00b, but need some help...

First I'll say hello. Hello.

Second I'll say that I took a leave from RCing about 6 years ago and am getting interested again. I used to own a XX-T, XXX-T , RS3 Pro... And XX Kinwald Ed..

With that said, third is coming up... I'm looking to get back into the hobby, as said, but am at a loss at what to purchase... What is good now-a-days? What is everyone using?

Here's my "rules":

1.) I prefer Buggy, Truck, Sedan, in that order.
2.) I hate dirt tracks, but love carpet. Whether that is "off-road" or not is up in the air.
3.) I would only use a Sedan for oval carpet.
4.) Money isn't a problem...

So... Help? Been looking at a ton of stuff... Can someone lend me a hand?

-Jason.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Hard to offer advice as your first and second points don't really mesh. What i mean is your first and second choices are buggy and truck but you hate dirt tracks. While you will occassionally find carpet tracks that have oval classes for buggies or trucks it isnt the norm. These beasts belong on dirt

I cant offer much advice on carpet oval but would say the RC10B4 Buggy or RC10T4 Truck are incredible machines and have won their respective classes in the ROAR Off-Road Championships for a reason. If I were you I would start by picking up either of these up, then get yourself a good charger (Duratrax ICE for around $130), decent electronics, a couple good stock motors (P2K and a Monster), a Spektrum DSM equipped controller and receiver, along with at least 3 3700 battery packs.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:14 PM
Tech Rookie

Well, I do suppose I didn't make much sense, huh? Yeah... For me it is a ton of an annoyance to clean my car every single time I race... I want a more cleanly approach.

So, Team Associated is the way to go these days?

What are peoples thoughts on the new Losi Sedan? Not the XXX-S, but the NEW one. LXST or something... Anyhow, what about the Hara Edition HPI RS4?

-Jason.
Old 01-18-2006, 02:09 AM
Tech Adept

If you want good 2wd buggies ( whether carpet for you or not) Team Associated B4 or Losi XXX BK2 are the ones for you. But I think people prefer the B4 more. Or if 4wd, Jconcepts BJ4, Losi XXX-4, MRC SB pro buggy, or Kyosho Lazer ZX-5 are popular. As for trucks, as far as I know, Team associated T4 and Losi XXXT MF2 are popular now-a-days. It would be better if you would just visit their websites and check them out. And it would be up to you what to choose.

As for sedans, there are too many for me to mention..
Old 01-18-2006, 07:35 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I have seen the JRXS do well but the guys that are driving them seem to be never happy with them.. If I was going to pick a Carpet car it would have to be the Corally or the Xray,I would probably get the new T2..That's an Xray.The JRXS just seems to be a car of compromise's..To me,I don't like the way the radio gear fits,the way the batteries go in.The new FT TC4 looks good,Their are so many new touring cars out their right now.If your just looking to race Oval why not get a Pan Car? Like the Sliva or a Custom Works.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I have owned the JRX-S, Pro 4, and X-Ray. Out of those 3 the X-Ray seemed the best. That was the T1FK05, the T2 is suppose to be even better. I know nothing about oval cars so I cant help you out there.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:16 AM
Tech Adept

first : hello back at ya. second : where you located, here in florida I know of two places that you can run a monster truck on pavement! we've had savages,revos, team losi, and traxxass Third: hope this helps!
Old 01-23-2006, 06:24 PM
Tech Master

The Hara is a great tourer! It has all the features you could want right in the box. It also comes with a spare one way for the front end if you decide to go that route. Either that or the FT: TC4 from Team Associated. It is a total conversion when compared to a RTR TC4.

It seems like you have a tendency to swing for Losi, but they just don't seem at home at the on-road tracks. The dirt seems to be where they thrive. I like the look of their touring cars, but I just don't think they have the stuff to run with the Hara's and Factory Team's of the world. Tamiya is also a pretty powerful force in touring cars now-a-days.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:26 AM
Tech Elite

This is what I advise.

1> Go to the track (s) you plan on racing at. Look what people are running - this will ensure you can get setup help.

(I personally would stay away from the Losi and any associated other than the FT TC4. The losi as it seems to be a dog. And the Associated, because if you want to get VERY competitive, you will hit limits earlier with the tub chassis.The Xray, Tamiya, HPI, Corally, Yokomo are all excellent cars)

2> Look in the Local hobby stores and see what spares they carry. Then see question 1 and pick a car that people run, that the store carries parts for.

3> Ask if your local track has an internet forum and request setups.

This will get you competitive.
You should
Old 01-24-2006, 10:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (94%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BritRacer
This is what I advise.

1> Go to the track (s) you plan on racing at. Look what people are running - this will ensure you can get setup help.

(I personally would stay away from the Losi and any associated other than the FT TC4. The losi as it seems to be a dog. And the Associated, because if you want to get VERY competitive, you will hit limits earlier with the tub chassis.The Xray, Tamiya, HPI, Corally, Yokomo are all excellent cars)

2> Look in the Local hobby stores and see what spares they carry. Then see question 1 and pick a car that people run, that the store carries parts for.

3> Ask if your local track has an internet forum and request setups.

This will get you competitive.
You should
Great advice, couldn't said it better my self.