Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
WD-40 for a clean car? >

WD-40 for a clean car?

WD-40 for a clean car?

Old 01-16-2006, 06:08 AM
Suspended

8 dollars for after run? we sell it for 1.99!! I just never use it because Its not needed for my application.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:09 AM
Tech Rookie

If you spray any fluid on a R/C car, you take a chance of having problems. One must take extreme care to keep any kind of fluid away from the servos and receiver. I fried a $125.00 steering servo by getting fluid on the output shaft, it seeped into the case and went poof when I plugged the battery into the receiver. It melted a nice little hole in the bottom of the servo case and emitted a foul smelling smoke. I use 92% alcohol and plain old soap and water to clean my high dollar custom sprint cars. I then use a compressor to blow off the moisture. Dry graphite power (in the squeeze tube) works well on CVD joints and does not attract dirt. As far as after-run oils go, you can buy Marvel Mystery oil for $4.00 a gallon at the auto parts store. It will do the same as hobby shop after-run oil. Some nitro fuels on the market are adding an additive to their fuels that serve as after-run oils. I use Sidewinder fuel and have not had any build up of gunk in my engines. Sidewinder adds this additive to their fuels. After-run oil down the carb is not a good idea in that it does react to the rubber o-rings. They tend to break down and get soft over time after contact with the oil. Good old common sense goes along way with R/C maintanence. My 2 cents worth.
Old 01-16-2006, 04:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i take the engine an electronics off my maxx brfore cleaning it. i usually get a hose, and the pressure nozle, and blast the dirt off and away! i then spay it down with wd40, on the metal parts, so they dont rust.

May the schwartz be with you...
Old 01-16-2006, 06:09 PM
Tech Adept

Fritz, you are correct. This is what I found:
    Originally Posted by fritzD
    WD-40 is not water based. it's pure synthetic oil. Their main purpose for making wd-40 was to displace water from wet engines in order to start them. and thus Water displacement successful at the 40th trial.

http://inventors.about.com/library/inventors/blwd40.htm
    http://home.howstuffworks.com/question155.htm
    Old 01-17-2006, 12:17 AM
    Tech Master

Originally Posted by KENZO
    I was told otherwise, but I do not know this to be fact. I will check for myself. Thanks for your knowledge. I am in the glass business and we used to use WD-40 to lubricate the wheels on sliding glass doors, but they started to rust and pick up dirt so we switched to this stuff called PB Blaster.....problem solved.
    Your wheels rusted because the WD40 is a water displacer first It is not really a lubricant or a rust inhibitor although it does do a bit of both. If you need a lubricant and rust inhibitor there are much better products, as you found out with the PB blaster.
    Old 01-28-2006, 11:28 PM
    Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
    Default cleaning

Denatured alcohol works the best for cleaning and it doesn't kill bearings, like simple green does.
    Old 01-29-2006, 10:33 PM
    Tech Regular

IF u r willing to, i say use WD-40 to srpay and lubercate your shocks and springs and ur bearing. Also, another good cleaner for any car is nitro/electri cleaners. Really good for the bearings. Cleaing off dirt is easier with compressed air from a can or from an air comressor if u hav one.
    Old 01-30-2006, 02:47 AM
    Tech Addict

WD 40 has the same effect on motors as after runn oil