Wiki Posts
Search

Throttle servo help

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 02:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Throttle servo help

Today i had the throttle servo on my traxxas Revo 3.3 brake and i was just wondering if i could temporarily use a DS65K servo just for the throttle, i would disengage the brakes because i know for a fact this servo does not have enough power for them, while i wait for a replacement servo?
Old 10-10-2016, 04:15 PM
Tech Master

No reason any servo of the right size/dimensions wouldn't work, even if its under powered.
I was going to do the same on my nitro buggy just so I could finish running the driveline in. Could probably still hook the brakes up, just be careful how much you apply them, some brakes is better than none.
When you do replace the standard traxxas servo make sure you get a better one with plenty of power, think Savox have a couple water proof ones that suit.
Old 10-10-2016, 04:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ozziii
No reason any servo of the right size/dimensions wouldn't work, even if its under powered.
I was going to do the same on my nitro buggy just so I could finish running the driveline in. Could probably still hook the brakes up, just be careful how much you apply them, some brakes is better than none.
When you do replace the standard traxxas servo make sure you get a better one with plenty of power, think Savox have a couple water proof ones that suit.
Thanks for the info i was worried mainly about the vibration i been reading up that micro/ mini servo don't handle vibration good and i really dont want to brake it lol. And your right about savox i love their products, awesome company. Are their any guidelines for the minimum torque a servo has to have to be a used on the throttle? I would guess if it was throttle alone without any brakes it wouldn't matter much.

Last edited by Speed Chaser; 10-10-2016 at 05:07 PM.
Old 10-10-2016, 06:34 PM
Tech Master

If you don't want to damage it then it might be worth waiting & getting the correct servo, specially if the servo you have doesn't like much vibration.
Some people say not to use high torque servo's for throttle brake, it can cause flex in the chassis, but I don't see why not because if its set up properly with end points so there's no strain on servo or flex in chassis. We use the Savox sc1256tg for both steering & throttle/brake on 1/8 nitro buggies, they have 277 oz/in torque, we also run them on a 6.6v LiFe battery, the extra .6v gives a little extra speed & hasn't hurt any servo's yet, they do the job well & being that you have the Revo which is heavy, then a strong servo for brakes would be good. I know when I had the Revo 3.3 myself, I didn't think the braking was that good, a stronger servo would have fixed it. Same for steering, a single strong servo would be better than 2x weak servo's, maybe less power drain as well.