Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Loosing highend speed after 3 mins.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 09:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default Loosing highend speed after 3 mins.

This past weekend we raced here in Jackson, as the weather was great.

The funny thing is I was running elec. touring car, and just after 3 min, I loss a lot of power on highend, lowend was find.

I'm running a Monstor motor, freashly cut, IB 3600 batteries, ran 3 times. After the race, I could run another 5 mins, so the batteries are not dumping.

I have two sets of the IB 3600 and both sets had the same results.

Any ideas?
Old 01-02-2006, 09:23 PM
Tech Addict

i would check your esc and motor temps at the 3 min. mark your motor shouldn't get past 140 deg ..
Old 01-03-2006, 04:56 AM
Suspended

Location: please try not to look at my avatar to long may cause u know what

you may also be undergeard as well causing ur motor to over heat
Old 01-03-2006, 11:07 AM
Tech Elite

After the 5min run, I can put my thumb on the motor, it is very warm, but not hot... The motor is a monster.

ESC is a LRP QUANTUM 2.

I will try to reset the ESC, this may be the issue...
Old 01-03-2006, 06:16 PM
Tech Addict

try the esc and also check your gearing.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:12 PM
Tech Elite

With higher capacity cells, the runtime is a completely differnet factor to voltage. when initially charged your cells will have more punch due to the voltage being high, as they drain the voltage drops....still more than enough for running, but not the same smack as when initially charged.

Could also be you are overgeared and the motor is fading, although you could have too much current going to the motor from teh esc which would have the same effect. This doesnt usually happen with stock motors, but its easy to let happen with some escs (KO).
Old 01-05-2006, 08:52 PM
Tech Master

Look into the connections between the battery and the ESC. Check the ESC tempurature as well. Like already stated, the peak on your pack might also be dumping before you've run out of capacity in the cells. Try a slightly slower charge rate and see if that makes for a slightly stronger (Not always higher) peak voltage. A slower charge generally results in longer runtimes, while a higher charge rate usually results in a shorter, punchier run.
Old 01-06-2006, 05:08 PM
Tech Elite

Now that you guys are saying ESC, I remember a while back this esc LRP Q2, needed to be reset, because it just stopped working.

The batteries, I charge them at 5.0 with an LRL charger. I'm runing a stock motor, and when I say it losses highend, this compared to the others running at the same time, with less batteries... we are the same for the first 2.5 mins or so, then I loss just highend, running the same montor and gear as the others... (they are much better drives, I'm still learning, I'm about 1 sec slow compared to them, so for the first 4 mins we all race and slow down and race, but the last min is everyone for them self... This really helps me to learn the lines....)
Old 01-06-2006, 05:09 PM
Tech Elite

Now that you guys are saying ESC, I remember a while back this esc LRP Q2, needed to be reset, because it just stopped working.

The batteries, I charge them at 5.0 with an LRL charger. I'm runing a stock motor, and when I say it losses highend, this compared to the others running at the same time, with less batteries... we are the same for the first 2.5 mins or so, then I loss just highend, running the same montor and gear as the others... (they are much better drives, I'm still learning, I'm about 1 sec slow compared to them, so for the first 4 mins we all race and slow down and race, but the last min is everyone for them self... This really helps me to learn the lines....)

Maybe I have Bad ESC...

Sorry about the double post, I did not realize I did this...