Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
What to get to keep bashing in good conditions? >

What to get to keep bashing in good conditions?

What to get to keep bashing in good conditions?

Old 12-07-2005, 03:43 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default What to get to keep bashing in good conditions?

Hi, I have a tc3 rtr, have no accessories whatsoever (besides of what came in the box, batteries and charger). The charger is not high end, it is a timed one, more than enough right now (I'm low on dough). My LHS is close to non existant (you can get kits, but as for replacement parts, they have nothing, not even cables), so I doubt that I could go there for any maintenance. So here's my question, what do I need to get, and in what order, to keep my car running as long as possible.

Last edited by milen; 12-07-2005 at 04:09 PM.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I run the same thing at my local track. Im the only guy running a TC3 that is pretty much straight out of the box RTR although thats changing in a couple of days as Im adding a better ESC.

I would suggest you look for another hobby store, most places, even small joints carry AE parts. Its one of the best things about Associated, parts are usually cheap and plentiful. If one isnt reasonably close to you I know some guys get their stuff online. Im not sure where but i think towerhobbies.com is a place where a few go for parts.

This is what i would get, get yourself an extra set of arms, front and rear. Hinge pins. Extra ball cups. Extra Diff outdrives. So far ive broken those things in limited racing. The tub is durable but anything hanging out of the tub is seems a bit fragile to me. I race carpet and have been told that extra stress is probably why it seems more fragile than it should be.

Luckily all those parts are pretty cheap. Arms should be no more than 8-10 bucks, hinge pins were less than 5 iirc, ball cups $2, diff outdrives were like $8. Arms and diff outdrives came in a set of 2.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:30 PM
Tech Master

A good pack and a good charger are two important things.

You should probably look into getting some diff shims, some extra diff balls, some Associated Green Slime, Associated Black Grease, an assortment of either Losi or Associated shock oil, and a shock rebuild kit to keep in your pit box. Some pinions and spurs would also be a good idea, so you can track tune or tempurature tune for the best performance in any condition. RRP sells some good sets of billet aluminum pistons, and Kimbrough sells some tough spurs in many different teeth counts and pitches.

Were you thinking about getting anything else?
Old 12-07-2005, 04:42 PM
Tech Apprentice

I'm sorry, I didn't precise, I am just backyard bashing,so tuning to a non-existing track is hard, I make hard turns and smaller ones, have never been to a track (I live in costa rica, here this hobby isn't really well develpped), also have absolutly no intention of ever going to a track (that is if there is one, I've heard about tracks for off-road, but none for on road) for racing. I bought the car for drifting, so that's what I do. If I go to a track, it would be to have a certain way to follow (more challenging just drifting around ghymkana style). Also, I know about towerhobbies, and that is where I buy my stuff now (bought my tc3 here at LHS, like les than 1 month ago for about 300$ with 2 batteries and a slow rate charger (500mAh). Now I have my timed charger, still not the best but sufficient for my 2400mAh batts.
My question was about things that are relative to maintaining a car in shape, not relative to having lasting parts or replacing broken ones. I meant like things like a comm-lathe or so, this is what I need to know.
Also is 3M quick drying contact cleaner a good stuff to clean the motor?