Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rail, tether car question

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2005, 07:02 PM
Tech Rookie

Rail, tether car question

I am a new member, and am seeking info on old RAIL cars or TETHER cars. I know this is a RC site, but am having trouble finding a forum for these. Any help from you all will be most welcomed. I am buiding a clone of a Rexner Miller front wheel drive car that is approx. 19" long, 7" tall and 8"wide I will be using a Denny mite .60 gas engine, and as looking for those that have info on RAIL, TETHER CARS.

Thanks for helping me out.

Dale
Indy
Old 11-24-2005, 08:07 PM
Tech Master

http://www.tethercar.com/

http://www.dbtethercars.com/

http://www.amrca.com/sites.htm

All of these sites will get you closer to your goal. I am not too familiar with tether cars, but I do know that they can reach speeds upwards of 200, is that correct?

Your project sounds cool! If you can, post some pictures and keep us updated on your project. Being abstract never hurt anyone!
Old 11-25-2005, 11:27 AM
Tech Rookie

Yes these can run speeds of 200. The car I am building is designed to ride on or should I say hook up to a rail. It has two ball bearings under the left side of the car that hook to the rail. I will post some pictures soon.

The links you provided are good, but do not offer a forum. Maybe I need to start one that does, or maybe you would have room for such? There is a big following of collectors of these cars and more clones coming to life each day.

Thanks for you help.

Dale
Old 11-25-2005, 11:51 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I've seen videos of these things, and, holy crap! Ludicrous speed!!

Personally, I'd never do it, kinda like a C/L plane, but crap they're fast!
Old 11-25-2005, 07:36 PM
Suspended

Location: please try not to look at my avatar to long may cause u know what

http://www.radiocontrolzone.com/cars/video.asp

there is a link to a vid of a 200mph teaher car it is almost at the bottom way of the link the tittle is
200 MPH Tether Car
Old 11-25-2005, 08:54 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Smith Brother 1, where are you from? The video linked above is from a tether car track on Long Island that's still in operation. If you're anywhere near NY you may want to try contacting them.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:05 PM
Tech Rookie

Default New project

I thought you might be interested in my project. This will not be a reproduction, but rather a representation of what I consider the golden age of tether cars - late 1930s and 40s when cars were intended to resemble full sized race cars, but still compete. I hammered the body out of .063" 3003 aluminum. Several pieces torch welded together. The frame will be 6061 corrosion resistant aluminum. The pan as pictured will have rails and body positioners welded to the sides. Hornet 60 engine, Gary Barns gearbox. I'm limited to a drill press and hand tools.
Attached Thumbnails Rail, tether car question-lunapic_136926053292444_2.jpg   Rail, tether car question-lunapic_136926112831177_2.jpg   Rail, tether car question-lunapic_136926164299976_2.jpg   Rail, tether car question-dscf0096.jpg   Rail, tether car question-dscf0104.jpg