Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Radio Crystals

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 04:32 PM
Tech Initiate

Radio Crystals

I use a Futaba Megatech 2PL running on channel 1 26.975 MHZ. I've been told by my local club that I need to have three sets of crystals at each race meeting.

Are crystals branded (eg. do I have to buy Futaba specific crystals) or are they all the same?

Would I be better off getting a channel 5 and channel 6 (rather than channel 2 and 3) to reduce the chances of others having the same frequency?

Thanks
Old 11-21-2005, 04:36 PM
Tech Initiate

As an example

HPI radio crystals -
http://cgi.ebay.com/HPI-RADIO-CRYSTA...QQcmdZViewItem

Traxxas radio crystals -
http://cgi.ebay.com/TRAXXAS-RC-RADIO...QQcmdZViewItem

These crystals appear to be branded as either HPI or TRAXXAS. Would they work in my controller?
Old 11-21-2005, 05:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Some crystals will work/interchange between radio brands. Make sure though that you get the correct modulation (ie AM or FM).
I used the KO Propo crystals in my Futaba 3PM (FM), but the RX crystal needed modifying to its plastic casing to allow it to fit into the Futaba receiver.
I`d suggest taking your radio/receiver into your LHS and testing the crystals in the store to make sure they`ll work.
Good Luck
Cheers
Old 11-21-2005, 08:45 PM
Tech Master

Crystals are interchangable just so long as they operate on the same band. For example, a 27MHZ transmitter will require a 27MHZ crystal in order to operate correctly. I have personaly used a set of 78MHZ crystals in a 75MHZ transmitter and had it work, but the difference in frequency will cause some glitching, reduced range, decreased longevity, and more interferance. The bottom line is; don't mix radio frequencies around. USe only 27MHZ crystals in 27MHZ transmitters, and 75MHZ crystals in 75MHZ transmitters.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:37 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I have seen some that are manufacturer specific. Some rx's use dual conversion crystals while others use single conversion. As stated a few posts above, your best bet is to take your equipment to the LHS with you and test before purchasing. If you don't have access to a LHS then I recommend you purchase what you are sure will work.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:52 PM
Tech Initiate

Went down to my LHS and bought everything I needed.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:39 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by eri3f0g
I have seen some that are manufacturer specific. Some rx's use dual conversion crystals while others use single conversion. As stated a few posts above, your best bet is to take your equipment to the LHS with you and test before purchasing. If you don't have access to a LHS then I recommend you purchase what you are sure will work.
So, really some RX's are only suited to Dual Conversion and others single?

How are you supposed to know if your RX/TX is Dual Conversion compatible or not?