Wiki Posts
Search

Rookie racing?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 06:43 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Rookie racing?

I Never raced or even been to a track. What are some pointers for a first time racer? I don't want to go to the track and be that annoying rookie that pisses people off. Any tips would be appreciated. Are most of the people in this hobby helpful to the new comers? Is it like, "oh great here comes a rookie"? What was your first race experience like?
Old 11-10-2015, 07:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Just watch and learn for a bit. It's run a lot like Saturday night stock car racing with heats and mains. Try to stay out of the front runners way if you are being lapped. It doesn't necessarily mean pull over and stop. The best way is to just over run a turn so the faster car can go under you. After you are done your race you are expected to marshall (Flip anybody over who is upside down) the next race. If you can't marshall (physically or whatever) you are expected to get a substitute. I sprained my ankle a few years ago and got one of the other guys kids to substitute for me. Paid him $10 for the day and he was happy to make money.

Just ask someone to help you, most wil

PS have fun and everybody has to start sometime
Old 11-10-2015, 07:41 PM
Tech Elite

There should be a novice or sportsman class. Even if you have some racing experience, I suggest you start there when going to a new track.

Also, a lot of tracks have long time regulars and groups already established. Some folks can be rude and brutal, but don't get discouraged or assume all of the folks there are. Be polite and have an open mind, have fun. GL
Old 11-10-2015, 09:22 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Don't crash.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:37 PM
Tech Addict

I assume there's a track near you.Any way,you should go and check out the track.Talk to the folks that run the track.Find out what classes they are running and what equipment they consider legal at that track.Next find out when is a good time to practice and practice until you feel comfortable with the track and your set up.Then race and have fun.Good luck to you.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:48 PM
Tech Initiate

The only track around me only allows practice for an hour and a half on race day and that's it. It would be nice to go and practice on a non race day but that's not possible.
Old 11-11-2015, 06:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Don't put too much pressure on yourself. We all remember our first day at the track. There are rules and driver's etiquette but make sure you aren't so involved that you don't have fun. What track are you going to? Someone here may be a local that can give you advice.
Old 11-11-2015, 07:25 AM
Tech Apprentice

Remember... even the pros and veterans had a first race day.

My first race day was monster truck class. Ran a stock T-Maxx with some borrowed racing wheels and tires. Throttle got stuck wide open and into the fence I went. I still remember that annoying extending antenna in my face, and all the laughs and smiles afterwards.
Old 11-11-2015, 07:29 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theo551
The only track around me only allows practice for an hour and a half on race day and that's it. It would be nice to go and practice on a non race day but that's not possible.

Yea practice is the most important thing you can do. Is there another track you can go to or is that the only one locally for you?
Old 11-11-2015, 09:57 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by LiL CeeZ
Yea practice is the most important thing you can do. Is there another track you can go to or is that the only one locally for you?
It's the only one. Might have to build one on my property
Old 11-11-2015, 11:40 AM
Suspended

Theo.welcome to the world of rc racing. now get ready

1st is your a Rookie not a novice or noob.
2nd tracks have lines when your slow stay out of them so you dont slow the faster racer down.
3rd be ready for the BS to begin..
4th some will be helpful and others will not thats just life
5th Have fun. be safe follow tracks rules most important..
Old 11-11-2015, 07:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

As one of the faster club guys at my track, I always tell newer drivers just to drive and not worry about the faster drivers until you're able to keep it between the pipes. Depending on your skill, you may find it hard to keep it between the pipes, let alone get out of the way every other corner. A fast guy will usually be able to get around you in the first corner or two fairly easily, so it's better just to drive and be predictable for the fast guy. I can't count how many times I've been taken out by a newer driver because they tried to get out of the way. Had they not, I would have just easily gone around them...Not saying to do this forever, but you'll slowly learn when your skill is good enough to let them through the corner.

I've found most people at tracks to be very friendly and approachable. I think every track has a jerk or two, but as others said don't let that get to you. If a track wants you coming back (they should, it's a business!), they should be very helpful and willing to earn your business.

As far as other things to know:

Races are timed, not a set number of laps. Same for qualifying.

Depends on tracks, but most use IFMAR qualifying. In short, that means each driver is on their own clock and they will call you out individually to cross the timing line.

Qualifying is usually "rocket round" or your fastest TOTAL RUN out of 3 qualifiers. Not qualifying by fastest lap.

Timing is done by some type of timing system, which records a transponder that is mounted in your car. It records every time you cross the line, and the software on the computer logs that time. Most tracks will have transponders for purchase, and may have rental transponders if you don't have one. Talk to your track to confirm.

I think between this and what the others have posted, you should be fairly set.

Number one, is don't be intimidated, and don't be afraid to ask for help!

Seth
Old 11-12-2015, 06:06 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

dont be afraid to ask questions. most racers are excited to see new people walk in the door. like what was said above everyone had their first race at some point. my problem was i should have ran my car a bit at the house before i went just to get used to everything a little bit. but either way just have an open mind you will learn and have fun thats all you can ask for.
Old 11-14-2015, 05:30 PM
Tech Elite

1) Read the club/ifmar block rules.
2) Meet the members
3) Set your goals for Personal best, not other driver results.
4) Look for the schedule
5) Enjoy it

And share you first experience here for others to learn.
Old 11-18-2015, 05:27 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for all the tips. I haven't raced yet but possibly this sayurday. I will post my first experience racing here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.